Need help for Value range of co-ordinates

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Need help for Value range of co-ordinates

Robin Hossain(Posted 2004) [#1]
What is the maximum value we can use the x,y and z co-ordinates in Bltiz3D?

I am trying to project entire earth in as much detail as practically possible and somehow still not sure how closely I can map the latitudes, altitudes and longitudes with the X,y,z of the Blitz3D environment.

Thanks in advance.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#2]
personally I wouldn't go beyond -32000 and 32000. But that's just me. I have seen some strange effects when something is attached to the camera and the camera is far away from 0,0,0.

ChrML(Posted 2004) [#3]
I would keep the blitz units at kinda medium size (if it is a game where you control a human, you use 1 blitz unit = 1 meter, if it's a flightsimulator, then you say 1 blitz unit = 1/10 kilometer for example). I guess the maximum x,y,z coordinates is the maximum size of a float (cuz x,y, and z coordinates are float values), but I can't remember how big floats can be again right now in my head.

Andy(Posted 2004) [#4]
>What is the maximum value we can use the x,y and z co-
>ordinates in Bltiz3D?

http://www.blitzcoder.com/cgi-bin/ubb-cgi/postdisplay.cgi?forum=Forum4&topic=000352

>I am trying to project entire earth in as much detail as
>practically possible and somehow still not sure how
>closely I can map the latitudes, altitudes and longitudes
>with the X,y,z of the Blitz3D environment.

You can't... x,y,z does not conform well to the surface of a sphere.

Andy

Robin Hossain(Posted 2004) [#5]
Thanks for all the info.
jfk, I have tried 32000 for co-ordinates, but I get unexpected results. I couldn't see anything although some shades appear wherever there should be a collision.

Andy, seems like you have done a lot of work on the topic. Thanks for sharing all this. I have been working on Blitz for close to a year now and have gathered a lot of material for working with huge size of data, huge terrains and database interactions. After comleting my first phase of project, I would like to give back to the community a part of what I have received.

Coming back to the topic, it doesn't look like that we can go beyond a 3000 or 4000 co-ordinate unit and still have reliable results. Is this logical or just a drawback of using blitz or 3D?

Andy, one more thing. I am not trying to map blitz x,y,z co-ordinates directly to earth locations. It's not possible. I am converting them as per the distance value for every latitude interval.