seamless skybox textures

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/seamless skybox textures

slenkar(Posted 2004) [#1]
I need a space skybox, there are plenty of tutorials for how to create an image of a spacescape,

But, how do I extract 5 images from the one image and make them seamless for the skybox?

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#2]
Terragen is excellent for skyboxes. Try and error really to get the images matched up a think, but shouldn't take too long :)

Check out the Tut for terragen, in the tutoural section :)

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#3]
how do I extract 5 images from the one image and make them seamless for the skybox?

You don't. The idea (using ANY rendering program) is to render 6 separate square images with 90 degree camera FoV (field-of-view), using one point in space and rotating the camera 90 degrees after each render (north, east, south, west, up, down). Well "up" and "down" can't be done with single 90 degree rotation, but I think you got the idea. :)

slenkar(Posted 2004) [#4]
Terragen doesnt do outer space type renders does it?

(just stars and nebulas)

people were making skyboxes before terragen existed

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#5]
You could even do it in Blitz, use a big Sphere with a high number of segments. Or maybe even better, use a Geosphere. That's a Sphere with equally sized segments, so the texture won't be smashed at the top and the bottom. (eg. 3ds Max can save geospheres) Then apply a single seamless texture and take 5 shots as Mustang described. you can also adjust the camerazoom for the top render until it kinda fits the other 4 sides.

slenkar(Posted 2004) [#6]
thanks Ill try it out

found this:
http://www.ghostrecon.net/html/sky.htm

ChrML(Posted 2004) [#7]
I agree, with Terragen you make really cool seamless nicelooking skyboxes in 15 min.

slenkar(Posted 2004) [#8]
how would I create a geosphere in Wings3D??

RexRhino(Posted 2004) [#9]
If you want to do a spacescape, well, that you can do yourself in Blitz...

Create your camera, and create thousands and thousands of sprite star images all around the camera. That will be too slow for realtime... but then you take your camera and face in in the 6 directions with a 90 degree field of view, render the view and save it as a bmp.

Then you load those images onto each side of a cube.

sswift(Posted 2004) [#10]
" Well "up" and "down" can't be done with single 90 degree rotation, but I think you got the idea. :)"

Actually, if you:
render front, turn right 90,
render right, turn right 90,
render back, rotate up 90,
render top, rotate right 90,
render left, rotate right 90
render bottom

That will do it. :-)

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#11]
Btw, for this, do you need to set the camera to a certain camera zoom, or will the default number do?

ChrML(Posted 2004) [#12]
Default ofcourse :), or the skybox would end up getting seams.

Rogue Vector(Posted 2004) [#13]
Another alternative is just to buy ready-made space zones from here:

Asteroid Field

Orbit Around Planet

Lunar Landscape

Star Field

Sorry for the shameless plug.

Regards,

Rogue Vector

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#14]
That will do it. :-)

:)

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#15]
I cannot buy since I ain't got that barcode on my forehead <:°)

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#16]
Don't buy them, Psionic has a set of 6 I think on his web site - doesn't he? Or am I remembering something else?

Hmm. I just checked they've gone, but I have 6 skies on my hard drive (courtesy of Psionic) which are to be mapped to a sphere.

IPete2.

big10p(Posted 2004) [#17]
Slenker: You can create a sphere without poles in wings3D by smoothing a cube several times and then inflate all verts by 100%. Dont know if this is actually a geophere but it may be of use?!

slenkar(Posted 2004) [#18]
thanks for the help, my skybox looks quite low resolution,

I have my texture 1024x1024 mapped to a sphere and it looks quite blocky.

I scaled the sphere to 1000 blitz units,

rhuk(Posted 2004) [#19]
You should really check out this shareware program called Universe Image Creator (even a version that works as a photoshop plugin)

http://www.diardsoftware.com/

It's perfect for creating skyboxes, just create 6 images with the same star randomness and make sure you don't put any nebulas/galaxies etc on the edges. I did this in my 3dinvaders game and it came out great.

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#20]
Scale the sphere down, till it looks ok. Then hide everything in your world. Do a renderworld, don't clear the z-buffer (cameraclsmode), then unhide world, hide skysphere, and do a render.

Shouldn't be any more intensive, because your rendering the same amount of stuff, and you don't need to worry about stuff poking out or through the skysphere , because, it will always be at the back :)

slenkar(Posted 2004) [#21]
Scale the sphere down, till it looks ok. Then hide everything in your world. Do a renderworld, don't clear the z-buffer (cameraclsmode), then unhide world, hide skysphere, and do a render.

Shouldn't be any more intensive, because your rendering the same amount of stuff, and you don't need to worry about stuff poking out or through the skysphere , because, it will always be at the back :)

sounds complicated, but Ill try it thanks,

hiding and unhiding twice every loop doesnt slow it down?

big10p(Posted 2004) [#22]
I think hiding/unhiding stuff was speeded up considerably a few versions back.