Sand of time glowing effect

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Sand of time glowing effect

Filax(Posted 2004) [#1]
A little rendering glow effect like 'sand of time' :)

Try interactive demo :
http://www.blitz3dfr.com/mes_projets/egypt.zip

CyBeRGoth(Posted 2004) [#2]
Cool
Does it use the same technique as Bouncers Bloom filter?

Techlord(Posted 2004) [#3]
filax,

Thats very pretty. Is there any impact to rendering time. Unfortunately, I'm at work and cannot try the demo:(

Filax(Posted 2004) [#4]
Bloom ? euh ? who is bloom ? i have modify one of my older
nightvision code, this technique use dynamic sprite blend
in front of camera.

poopla(Posted 2004) [#5]
What you just said, is bloom ;).

CyBeRGoth(Posted 2004) [#6]
I forgot the link, Doh!

http://www.blitzcoder.com/cgi-bin/showcase/showcase_showentry.pl?id=naama02262004175141&comments=no

Warren(Posted 2004) [#7]
Thats very pretty. Is there any impact to rendering time.

You get two guesses. And the first one doesn't count...

Forbidden(Posted 2004) [#8]
Sweet. Great Work

Bouncer(Posted 2004) [#9]
You have texture drifting in your blur texture. You can see this when you increase or decrease the size of glow. Also you should use higher resolution texture to lower the amount of flickering. When you constantly render a scene and copy that to texture, it drifts (this is blitzes fault... I think). You can hack a fix and try copyrecting from 1,1 to texwidth,texheight for a crude fix.

Filax(Posted 2004) [#10]
Very nice example ! Bouncer ! i think to change my code
with your example :) it seems faster than mine

Bouncer(Posted 2004) [#11]
I think it's slower than yours... not sure though. It seemed nice at first, but I decided it takes too much processing power on older gfx-cards to be of any use. It can be optimized much more, but somebody else can do it :)

I'm looking forward if somebody finds a way to do a really good looking glow with light streaks and no flickering.

btw. Nice work Filax... as always.

ChrML(Posted 2004) [#12]
I get Memory Access Violation when I run the demo.

napole0n(Posted 2004) [#13]
filax: your method is faster than Bouncer's. Both methods work fine on my home-PC, but Bouncer's program does about 5 fps on my workPC, while your program still runs at about 12-15 fps.

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#14]
Filax,

This is a beautiful example of what can be achieved with B3d. Congratulations, I think it is one of the best demos I have seen in B3d.

IPete2.

Filax(Posted 2004) [#15]
Thanks ! :)

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#16]
yup , looking really nice

Tom(Posted 2004) [#17]
Filax, nice!

ChrML: don't run it right from winzip, extract to a folder first.

Filax(Posted 2004) [#18]
thanks tom :)

yes don't execute directly from the zip ! extract exe before!

Avrigus(Posted 2004) [#19]
Wow this is very sexy stuff filax. Are you considering releasing some source code for this at some stage?

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#20]
I'm guessing he is making a low-res render, copying it to a texture on a sprite in front of the camera, and blending it with a second high-res render. It looks very nice. I wonder if there is a way to contain the effect within select areas. I guess if only some objects were marked to "glow" you could contain the effect within a room.

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#21]
Which, of course, begs the following question: Why not just create solid colored objects, boxes or spheres, render them alone in a low res setting, and blend them over the high-res render of the map, for a volumetric fog effect?

Bouncer(Posted 2004) [#22]
halo: you have to copy the scene to a texture then multiply blend it a few tines to make only the bright parts to stay (you can use alpha also to regulate the initial darknes), then blur the texture (using additive blending) with few passes to make the glow bleed from the edges... then additive blend with the scene.

napoleOn: you can't really compare my code for filax's code because you should have same amount of passes and same texture size to compare. (not saying mine isn't slower... because it's far from optimised)

napole0n(Posted 2004) [#23]
@Bouncer: I've been playing around with your code (adjusting passes and resolution and the like) quite a lot and the results on my workPC (see sig) are really a lot slower. Somewhere you're doing something that makes my QuadroPro2 (GeForce 2 family) very, very unhappy. On GeForce 4 there doesn't seem to be such a dramatic difference though, both your and Filax' methods work fine there.

CyBeRGoth(Posted 2004) [#24]
I think altering your code (Bouncer) to use the new 2x modulation would help as it would mean less passes to make the scene brighter?

Techlord(Posted 2004) [#25]
Excellent 'Bloom' Effect Code Bouncer. I will definately put it use.