2D Sprite Overlay stuff

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/2D Sprite Overlay stuff

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hey guys, I've been toying with different methods of display 3d sprites as 2d overlay sprites. I've got a way to do it now, but I'm not happy with it. Does anyone know of a way to display 3D sprites on the screen using the same coordinate system and arguments as the 2d drawimage function. Something like, Drawimage3D(Image,X,Y,Width,Height). I know that the final image is going to be a little blurry because of the hardware, and that's not a problem. And before someone says it, there is a very good reason why I can't use the 2d drawimage command.

Shambler(Posted 2004) [#2]
There's stuff in the code archives that displays perfectly clear 3D sprites, look for pixies.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#3]
Infact there are 3 or more Examples in the code archives. One is from me and that's very simple and short. It is using a sprite that is automaticly positioned at the mouses location.

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2004) [#4]
Does anyone know if it is really faster to use copyrect over rendering to the texture buffer?

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#5]
im a novice here, but i would think image size would determine that.. due to fillrate issues. If you have a 640x480 image, it would be faster to do an overlay via drawimage? Havent tested comparisons, but on my card if i try to use a sprite over 256x256 as an overlay it kills my fps. im sure someone here will prove me wrong, as they usually do :) but thats my 2 cents for now.

Neo Genesis10(Posted 2004) [#6]
RifrRaf: You could overlay an image, but you would lose certain features (such as alpha blending - which is always a plus).

Craig: Its usually faster since re-rendering requires your PC to "think" whereas copyrect-ing simply copies data.