CopyEntity 'ghosts'

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/CopyEntity 'ghosts'

_PJ_(Posted 2004) [#1]
I have a strange problem... I am trying to imitate a fleet of spaceships, very basically with one main ship acting as a parent, with copies placed around it in formation. However, Although I have only used CopyEntity twice, I see 4 ships in total (?) also, when the ships move, they should all maintain the formation (being parent/children), however, some really odd things are happening.

Finally, to make engine trails for these ships, I am placing Sprites which gradually fade out. This gives a trail-like impression. These are maintained within a Custom Type. The main ship trail is fine, but the copies' trails just appear in completely wrong places - This has lead me to believe it is something connected with Global/Local space.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to recreate this happening with simpler trials, but I could post my over-complicated code (which has a heavy requirement on external media files and data files)...

skidracer(Posted 2004) [#2]
Try not parenting the copies to the original (thats why you get 4 not 3 as second copy is of parent plus child) but instead parent them all to a separate pivot.

_PJ_(Posted 2004) [#3]
Ah...

Makes sense now!

ChrML(Posted 2004) [#4]
CopyMesh()?

_PJ_(Posted 2004) [#5]
It's no biggy - I just copied them before parenting etc. Thanks though!