Trisrendered - Is there a B3D Editor available?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Trisrendered - Is there a B3D Editor available?

Chi3f Stadi(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hello,

i recently noticed (may you already know) that indoor b3d meshes made with maplet show always the same trisrendered count, where ever you stay with the camera.

After partitioning this maplet mesh into four meshes (still b3d) it increased the FPS and of course decreased the amount of tris rendered.

But it is hard now to create indoor levels with 4 different meshes.

So, does anybody know about an mesheditor which can import b3d files ? How do you decrease tris from maplet files ?

best rgds

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#2]
The only 3D tool I know of which can import b3d files is Ultimate Unwrap. It is perfectly capable of splitting a mesh into separate pieces and exporting b3d files, but the lightmapping will probably have to be setup again in code or using B3D Tweak.

As for your noticing that TrisRendered stays the same if you don't split the mesh up, that's because frustrum culling in Blitz is per entity, not per polygon. So even if you are only looking at a tiny part of an entity, the entire entity is rendered.

Chi3f Stadi(Posted 2004) [#3]
Thank you jhocking. Unfortunately Ultimate Unwrap is not for free, but may it's worth to buy it anyway.

Is there nothing in Blitz3D like Binary Space Partitioning where only visible tris are rendered. I wonder what others do with their indoor maplet levels ?

Btw: After decreasing the camera range to approximately render what can be seen was also an improvement.

sswift(Posted 2004) [#4]
"So, does anybody know about an mesheditor which can import b3d files ? How do you decrease tris from maplet files ?"

It should be possible for one to code a function which can automatically split a mesh into several meshes using a 3D grid to define the dividing regions... This would be a simple way to reduce the polygon count, at the cost of addiitonal surfaces in the scene. It would also allow one to assume that at a certain distance a particular section of the level would no longer be visible, and then cull it manually, providing and even greater speedup. And the nice thing is it's simple to implement, and doesn't require the level designer to put down special constructs to aid in the oclusion. Of course much more complicated technuqes may provide greater performance enhancements.

If you can't code it yourself, I'd probably code it for you if you paid me to. But I could make no guarantees aobut excalty how much it would speed up a particular level. That depends on how far you can see, how detailed it is, how much is obscured at any one time, etc. I can only make a guess based on my own experience with rendering in Blitz. And my intution tells me an indoor FPS level, with a short view distance would probably benefit greatly from such a technique.

Ice9(Posted 2004) [#5]
Doesn't Quill3D do it or rather have some occlusion code included in it for hiding non visible polygons?

gpete(Posted 2016) [#6]
ya but Quill3d is not working very well anymore no support

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#7]
necropost !

(maybe test Fragmotion, a good tool to create a mesh and to color it with different materials/brushes or with a texture and texels colors)