Yet another... collision problem

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Yet another... collision problem

vibe37(Posted 2004) [#1]
I'm working on a little FPS demo and the entities do not collide properly (sometimes they do not collide at all) when they have float radius values like EntityRadius 1.2 / 1.7 / whatever. When I give them integers like 1 / 2 / 3 as radius everything works just fine. Does anyone experience the same prob? What can I do?

nuclearglory(Posted 2004) [#2]
Try out our collision system. It will work with entities of any radius setting. The commands are also pretty close to the native blitz commands so if you decide to use it you don't have to re-learn the wheel.

Our site is at: www.nuclearglory.com

All the best

Shambler(Posted 2004) [#3]
oo a shameless plug ^^...must try your system out one day, just don't seem to get the time atm -.-

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#4]
It was a shameless plug, wasn't it? And I don't think Blitz has any problems with floating point radius values. I've never experienced that anyway. So I don't think you NEED to look elsewhere. Post a bit of code, maybe?

Having said that, Nuclear Glory's collision system IS very good, and it does do quite a few things ( notably dynamic>dynamic collisions ) which Blitz cannot. I like it, and I've put my money where my mouth is.

But in this case, I'd like to take a look at the code to see if this is fixable in Blitz first.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#5]
Nuclearglory sounds useful but the demo doesn't work. I get a "function not found" error. That doesn't instill me with confidence in the system.

EDIT: Duh, I forgot to copy the dll and decl files to the userlibs directory. Works perfectly now. I'll probably be purchasing. Collision detection with the moving platform is worth it alone. A question: does the collision system return any data about the collision? Like how Blitz's built-in collision detection allows you to get the entity collided with, position of the collision, stuff like that.

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#6]
It sure does. There's some online docs here :

http://www.nuclearglory.com/tutorials/NGColl/203/Blitz/

CollisionHitPos, CollisionHitNorm, CollisionHitPoly and CollisionTriCorner are the kind of thing you would want.

slenkar(Posted 2004) [#7]
Ive just noticed the same problem with blitz's collisions, well spotted.

nuclearglory(Posted 2004) [#8]
Thanks for the links Sybixsus

I'm still here if anyone has any questions.

slenkar(Posted 2004) [#9]
can you do box-box collsions?

how fast are poly-poly collisions compared to blitz?

nuclearglory(Posted 2004) [#10]
Both of those are on the "future plan" list.

Box-2-box collision is really just a simple version of poly-2-poly collision. This is especially true when it comes to boxes that rotate with the object.

Once all of these are completed we intend to do some intensive benchmarking with the blitz system.

slenkar(Posted 2004) [#11]
thanks,

are you going to integrate with the tokamak physics engine?

nuclearglory(Posted 2004) [#12]
There is no intent to ever make it specific to the tokamak engine. Although, because of it's popularity, we may take the step to add support routines to allow good integration with tokamak. It would be an optional feature though.