People wanted for a network test (GNET included)

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/People wanted for a network test (GNET included)

Paolo(Posted 2004) [#1]
I need to test this simple 3 players net code,... I'm trying to do the basic net code for a 6 players (max.) multiplayer game.

A nice thing in this demo (and surely the comercial game) is it's using GNET (when possible) to detect games in progress.
So basically there is no need to write a IP or anything like that, but if GNET isn't detected then the "old way" is there too.

This demo only contain the code to move the players around smoothly, and correctly rotate them.
You will also see there is a blue box over each player, this should represent where the camera is pointing to (later it will be a "gun")

----------------------------------
controls:

Arrows -----> move
right Ctrl -----> run
Page Down -----> duck / stand (toggle)

P ------> pause the game in case you want to move the mouse outside of the window
W ------> wireframe view (toggle)

For the ones who want to INVERT THE MOUSE, you will see there is a "KeysConfig.ini" file, open it and change the line where says "NO" to "YES" (in capital letters)
-----------------------------------

A little overview of how it should work:

-When you launch the game you will be asked by a Player name.
-Then, 3 options are shown: 1-host , 2-join a game listed in GNET , 3-write a IP to contact the host (old way)
If you decide to Host a game, your game should be inmediately listed in GNET as
"Tecno Level_A yourIP"
and the ones who want to join should detect it when they ask for the games in progress list.
In the games in progress list you just select the game number (showed at the left side) you want to join.

-At this moment, network synch is refreshed 3 times per second, I would like to know if this is enough ,too much or not enough :)
-If the actual host leave, the game should keep running...
-Also I would like to know "how good" you feel the game, I mean, do you like player's movement as it is right now?

Please if you do test on your own without me,.. let me know how it comes...:)

Reply here for testing...

The file (600kb):
http://www.freewebs.com/tecno-itb/3Players_Net.zip
(right click -> Save target as )

Really thanks for the help :)
Paolo.

pd, also if someone (someway) can do a test over a 2 or 3 LAN machines, it would be great!

Murphy(Posted 2004) [#2]
count me in!
i will test it around 18:30 (eurpoean time [austria]).

since the first time i saw tecno i was a absolute fan of this! looking forward to this.

Paolo(Posted 2004) [#3]
Thanks Marcus.

There are 5 hours less than Austria in my country, so I will try to find you at around 13:30.

Others invited ;)

Later!
Paolo.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#4]
Hey There Paolo...

... sorry i just got your email.

I'm getting the zip above (i had to copy and paste into the browser window, right click didn't work) now...

Yeah, RAD was a pain, but i finally got the sub thing finished, now i'm adding some unlimited world code thingee i just whipped up to it... always something to do :)

I see that you've gotten to the testing stages with Tecno... GREAT!!!

I'm looking forward to seeing it in action.

As always, good hearing from you.

[added]

ok, here's what i'm getting so far on a lan with 2 machines connected and also connected to the internet via the server.

(1) starting a game on the client machine and selecting show games displays my isp assigned ip address as an available game, even if there is no game being hosted.

(2) hosting a game on the server shows my isp assigned ip address and allows me to join. game seems to work well then, i can see other player and movement seems smooth.

(3) hosting a game says that game has been listed on gnet, but it shows my local ip as being listed on gnet, how do i confirm this?

i will do further testing on lan after i disconnect from net (still on dialup here, pray for me :) )

--Mike

Paolo(Posted 2004) [#5]
Hi Mike!
Always a lot of help comes from you, thanks!

Ahhhh, well, I'm still in 56kb modem too (real pain :)

Look, to see if a game has successfully listed in GNet, look above on this page, you will see there's a "GNet" link, it takes you to
http://www.blitzbasic.com/gnet/gnet_servers.php
This is where games in progress should be listed, I just retrieve information from the Blitz server... ;)

Thanks again Mike !
Paolo.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#6]
dohhhh!!!!!

forgot all about the GNet link above

okay will do now...

[added]

ok, the game is showing up... the correct ip is listed...

i'll keep it up for a few minutes... just in case anyone wants to join and test...

cool.

--Mike

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#7]
Paolo... i saw you connect and in the game... two things of note

(1) game was very slow and lagged seriously with other net player

(2) when i joined another machine here to the game, you seemed to disappear... did you leave or were you forced out?

(3) while game is running mouse is captured within screen limits of the demo.

(4) host is shown as player 2 on the screen as opposed to me being displayed as player 2

--Mike

Paolo(Posted 2004) [#8]
I'm hosting now, let's try again...

Paolo(Posted 2004) [#9]
I can see you...

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#10]
i saw you also on your hosted game... read post above

--Mike

Paolo(Posted 2004) [#11]
Thanks Mike, that's enough,...

It is right, things are painly slow,.. I will try rewriting some stuff to see what happend..

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#12]
it may be dialup, but for just two people, it should be a lot faster for what it is doing...

... we got a smoother response for the RAD test u did a while back using direct play and with 3 people on.

ok, good luck... always something, right :)

--Mike

ckob(Posted 2004) [#13]
I get a server failure when I try to download it

Paolo(Posted 2004) [#14]
that's strange ckob, I have no idea what could be,... may be try later, freewebs could have been down at that moment...
thanks anyway

...always something Mike,.. damn right :)