Unit Wonder!!

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Unit Wonder!!

mag.(Posted 2004) [#1]
1 unit in b3d is what size in reality. 1 meter, 1 feet, 1 milimeter or 1 miles?

Don't say that its up to me, because its look like the light and camera has preset scale of calculation.

I create one room 3 meter x 3 meter. Because I assume i unit is 1 mm so my room is 3000 x 3000 unit size. Then I create point light on the centre. In b3d my room is so dark.

Then I change my unit. I asume 1 unit on my 3d is equal to 1 meter. So I create a room size 3 x 3 unit. Create a pointlight and render in b3d. Its to bright ???

So what unit we should do?

poopla(Posted 2004) [#2]
size is irrelevant. 3000x3000 is WAY too huge, you shoulc be trying to keepm the scale smaller. Anywho the light wasnt illuminating anything becase it has a default max range of 1000 (Units radius). Decide what each unit means for you. I personally use 1 meter = 1 blitz unit.

Andy(Posted 2004) [#3]
At the standard FOV on a 17" monitor, you have to scale the camera by 0.05 on all 3 axii, for 1 unit to equal 1 meter.

Andy

Beaker(Posted 2004) [#4]
1 unit to 1 meter is a common setup.

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#5]
What MB said.

Almo(Posted 2004) [#6]
axes

:)

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#7]
What Mustang said.

gburgess(Posted 2004) [#8]
Yeah, one metre in Lightwave seems to end up as one unit in Blitz3D.

Ice9(Posted 2004) [#9]
But then consider sound. in order to get 3D sound working properly if you are using too large of a scale you never hear the sound until the listener is in range of the sound.
I think the smaller the scale the better but if it's too small then you deal with floating point errors. I started my game with 1 unit = 1" so I have to scale things down to get lightmapping to work. I would think 1 unit = 1' or 10' would work for a fps maybe 1 unit = 100' for a flight sim
but then again ditto to what Ross C said

mag.(Posted 2004) [#10]
Thanks a lot guys..