Best way to overlay large 2D on 3D

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Best way to overlay large 2D on 3D

Imphenzia(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hello,

I wonder if anyones has got any suggestions on how to best overlay graphics (in this case a title logo) that is larger than 256 pixels wide transparent over 3D in a way that allows older 3D cards only supporting 256 pixel width textures.

I am already using FONText for overlaying fonts which look great, but FONText doesn't appear to support Alpha transparency for the bitmap image overlays, and I need a compatible way to do this for an image say 500-600 pixels wide. Do I split it up to two textures and try to align it?

Curious to find out how others have solved this issue, preferably looking good in a range of resolutions =)

Beaker(Posted 2004) [#2]
You can easily do alpha transparency on an image in FONText. I have considered adding a function for images larger than 256 etc.

Come and chat on the FONText forum:
http://playerfactory.proboards25.com
...or on IRC.

ChrML(Posted 2004) [#3]
Just do something easy.

If you do a For loop that loops through all pixels in the image, and writes them to the screen, then the drawing should work. When we talk about the transparency, you could take color of the pixel already there, add with the color of that place at the pic, and divide by 2 (an easy way to find the color of the alpaed pixel).

That shouldn't be too hard :) (you should be able to figure the rest out yourself)!

ChrML(Posted 2004) [#4]
And you can always load several pictures and draw them next to eachother (wow, he didn't think of that :P).