In need of a good Lightmapper for Level Editor...

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/In need of a good Lightmapper for Level Editor...

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi All,

Does anybody know where I can find a real good lightmapper for my level editor im' currently working on? I know there's one in the code archives, But I wanted to see if someone might know where there might be a better one at.

Many Thanks in advance,

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#2]
You mean YAL? that's pretty good. You might try coding your own, possibly doing some radiosity stuff. What's wrong with YAL anyway? unless I am mis-informed, it's really good. Well, not REALLY good, but certaintly decent. Why do you think that Guiles sells?

Sweenie(Posted 2004) [#3]
You could check how this lightmapper was done...(sourcecode included)
http://www.fluidstudios.com/fsrad.html

Rob(Posted 2004) [#4]
Gile[s] is unbeatable, it trounces 3dsmax for uv mapping quality and lightmapping.

If you have the same uv mapped level in 3dsmax and gile[s] *with* radiosity on both, the gile[s] version looks better.

The max version has horrible light leaking. Of course it doesn't leak when raytracing, but what use is that when baking?

Gile[s] is a true tool of the professionals for lightmapping and uvmapping.

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#5]
@bot builder

ok... I stand corrected here! I was just merly asking if
anybody knew of any better lightmappers! I know that the
one in the code archives is fairly decent and all...
But I was just wanting to see if there might be a better
one available!

@Sweenie

Thank's for the link, I'll check it out as soon as I get
home from work tonight! Thanks alot man!

Sweenie(Posted 2004) [#6]
or you could try mounting this chip on your gfxcard. ;)
http://www.saarcor.de

mrtricks(Posted 2004) [#7]
Ye Gods! 3 millions triangles? What's that all about and why haven't I got one?

I often imagine a time when there are no lightmapping routines, bsp trees, occlusions, shadow-meshes - just a computer that can display all the architecture in real time with no LOD needed and lit properly by real time raytracing. Then we can get on with making great games instead of figuring out the next lighting technique.

This chip though - is it just a university project or is it something that is coming to a PC shop near us sometime in the next five years?