copy entity

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/copy entity

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#1]
I am a bit dubious about the merits of using this.
I thought that if you copied an object , there would be next to no overhead, but things soon slow down if you copy an object say 20 or 30 times.
I thought the whole point of instances was that you could make huge scenes without fps slowdown.

Stevie G(Posted 2004) [#2]
Reading previous threads - if you copy an object 20 times you get 20 x the surfaces and 20 x the polys. If you're copying a hi poly mesh with a few surfaces this may be the reason for the slowdown.

Shambler(Posted 2004) [#3]
Unless they have to all move independantly move the original entity to each new position and addmesh it to a single mesh that holds them all.

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#4]
I think the main merit was not having to load the same mesh a bunch of times, as well as keeping most of the entity settings

Floyd(Posted 2004) [#5]
CopyEntity doesn't duplicate triangles. The new entity is just another reference to the original mesh.

Of course, when you render the 20 copies to the screen you are still drawing 20 of *something*.

Bouncer(Posted 2004) [#6]
One big merit is that you save the oh so precious memory by not loading the mesh multiple times as floyd said.

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#7]
so in fact I may as well just copy it in max and export it as normal.
So whats the difference between blitz 'copy entity' and say the instances used in UT2003?

To be fair blitz handles larger poly counts quite well, but I will have to use some kind of occlusion to really get those higher poly counts. This is all theoretical of course, because I'm not going above 15,000 polys for my demo.
its jsut nice to know the limitations.