iterating through types as a function?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/iterating through types as a function?

mrtricks(Posted 2004) [#1]
I'm writing something where I need to iterate through a type to find the one with a particular \ID, and then grab some other \values from it.

Rather than insert that code each time I need to do that, I'm inserting an external function to iterate through the types until it finds the one with the right id, then ending.

My question is this: once I end the function and return to the main program, will that type item still be the active one?

I'm not making this very clear: okay, I have type TRUCK. I want to iterate through until TRUCK\ID$ = "bigtruck", and then make x# = TRUCK\x# etc etc.

Can I use a function like this:
Function findtruck( id$ )
   truck.truck = First truck
   While truck\ID$ <> id$
      truck = After truck
   Wend
End Function

... and then in the main program use this:
blah blah
findtruck( "bigtruck" )
x# = truck\x#
etc

Or will it happen so that when the function ends and returns to the main program, the truck\x# I use will again be the First truck?

Koriolis(Posted 2004) [#2]
There is no "active one". What you need is to make your function return the found object, or null if not found.
Function findtruck.truck( id$ )
  For t.Truck = Each truck
    If truck\ID = id THen
      Return t
    End If
  Next
  Return Null
End Function

Then:
blah blah
t.truck = findtruck( "bigtruck" )
If t = Null Then
  ;handle case where not found
Else
  x# = truck\x#
  etc
EndIf

Techlord(Posted 2004) [#3]
I would suggest using a Array of Types. I would also suggest using a integer for Id instead of a string for speed. Run the code below its very fast!

;truck object
Const TRUCK_MAX%=24
Type truck
	Field id%
	Field typeid% ;big=1, small=2, long=3, etc
	Field x#
End Type
Dim truckID.truck(TRUCK_MAX%) ;<-- truck Type Array

;New truck
Function truckCreate.truck(id%,typeid%,x#)
	this.truck=New truck
	this\id%=id%
	this\typeid%=typeid%
	this\x#=x#
	truckID.truck(this\id%)=this.truck ;<-- assign truck to array
	Return this
End Function

;create a dozen various trucks with random x#
For loop = 1 To 12
	truckType=Rnd(3)+1
	truckX#=Rnd(-100,100)
	truckCreate(loop,truckType,truckX#)
	Print "Truck #"+Str(loop)+", Type="+Str(truckType)+", X#="+Str(truckX#)
Next

;find truck
truck.truck=truckID(5)
x# = truck\x#
Print
Print "You Selected Truck #"+Str(truck\id%)+", Type="+Str(truck\typeid%)+", X#="+Str(truck\x#)
Print "X#="+Str(x#)

WaitKey()

mrtricks(Posted 2004) [#4]
Both very useful, thanks. I am using integers instead of strings, I just put that to explain better.

I'm not familiar with Array Types, are they documented more fully somewhere?

[edit] With respect to array types, does that limit you to a certain amount, unlike plain old type types where you can add to the list ad infinitum? or am I wrong there?

Techlord(Posted 2004) [#5]
With respect to array types, does that limit you to a certain amount, unlike plain old type types where you can add to the list ad infinitum?
The answer is no. Technically, you cannot create an infinite number of objects due to memory limitations. For improved memory management, you should set a limit to the number of objects created. You could always use a very large number.

Type Arrays are documented in the Blitz Basic Language Reference: Custom types. Another possibility is to use the Object/Handle Functions. However, these functions are not documented.

mrtricks(Posted 2004) [#6]
The reason I ask about limits, is that I thought: When you dim an array, you set aside that amount of memory, whereas when you define a type, it's dynamically sized. So that if you wanted to dim a huge array you're possibly wasting a lot of memory.

That's what I assumed, anyway.

Techlord(Posted 2004) [#7]
you set aside that amount of memory, whereas when you define a type, it's dynamically sized
This is the exact reason why limits should be set on the number of objects created.

There are truly very few scenerios that really require infinte objects or dynamic memory management. Reserving and controlling your memory usage is more effecient in IMHO.

mrtricks(Posted 2004) [#8]
Sounds reasonable. :)

Zethrax(Posted 2004) [#9]
An array of Types is actually just an array of Type pointers, at 4 bytes per pointer. There are no special array Types, these are just array storage slots for storing the pointer values of standard Blitz Types.