smoke effects

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/smoke effects

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#1]
whats the best way to make a smoke generator( thinking more chimney smoke here). I suppose I would do it using apha polys, with an animation to simlulate the movement. ie the poly planes move up and shrink in size.

any other ideas ?

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#2]
How about using a particle system? I can provide mine if you wish? With smoke particles :)

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#3]
I'd opt for a particle system, but then I love particles!

Techlord(Posted 2004) [#4]
A sprite particle system is commonly used to generate smoke, fire, sparks, debris, explosions, fog, and lighting effects. Its definately recommended.

There are several ways to implement a particle system. I would recommend using a single surface, sprite recycling system for speed. However, meshes could be used in particle systems as well. I would be more then happy to assist you in writting one as I need one myself.

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#5]
Rossc is that fast/, particles almost always seem to be slow.
I am after simulating stuff like smoke mainly

cool frank. what concerns me most is the speed hit.I need it to be fast over almost everything else.
what would be great would be stuff like smoke speed, density,colour,randomness etc.
I can make the sprites, have done a few already

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#6]
Well, my system is single surface, and very easy to use. Simply place the emittor, and call update emiitors and update particles every frame. There is also i wide range of parameters that can be passed across :)

My one uses quads.

Techlord(Posted 2004) [#7]
Ross C,

Sure we all interested in your system. Is code available?

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#8]
Yea, ain't the cleanest it could be tho, but it works.

Parameters that can get passed:

x,y,z location of emittor
spread of emittor,
xspeed, yspeed, zspeed,
particle size,
rotation speed,
align to camera options,
generation_rate,
particle life time,
particle count per emittor,
emittor life time ( -1=infinate )

I'm at college the now, so i can't post any source, as i don't have access to it :)

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#9]
sounds good RossC, would like to get my hands on that.
i love fx and shiny thigns in general

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#10]
I've got some shiney marbles i could post you :)

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#11]
he he , ok

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#12]
Sorry Ruz, having problems with my home computer at the mo. I'm in college again. I WILL mail you the code tonight :)

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#13]
no probs.whenever you are ready.

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#14]
Mail sent. Actually decided to attach the file this time :)

mrtricks(Posted 2004) [#15]
When you're talking about using single surface quads instead of meshes, is the single surface full of quads not a mesh?

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#16]
Here's how it goes. A mesh is created. Everytime an emittor is made, 4 vertexs and 2 tri's are added to the mesh. One mesh, many quads :)

Techlord(Posted 2004) [#17]
Ross C,

I sure wanted to get my hands on that code as well.

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#18]
Oh sorry Frank!

Mail sent :)

Wayne(Posted 2004) [#19]
I'd like to take a look.
:)

N(Posted 2004) [#20]

Like that?

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#21]
nice

IPete2.

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#22]
looking nice noel

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#23]
How is your particle system coming along Noel?

N(Posted 2004) [#24]
Ross C: I 'finished' (not really finished, but in a stage where an improvement isn't within my grasp) it quite a bit ago.

Ruz: If you need a particle system, feel free to tear one of them out of Vein ( http://s87776868.onlinehome.us/vein/info.html *_SSPart or *_Particle ).

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#25]
cheers noel i will check it out soon.

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#26]
wow I like that file. Thanks for the link. So much stuff I was going to try to do myself but I don't have to anymore :D
Joy!