Multi-sub object texturing problem

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Multi-sub object texturing problem

Rad Gravity(Posted 2004) [#1]
I have a problem that's bugging the crap out of me, namely, a mesh I have in 3ds max that has a multi-sub object texture applied to it.
When I export it using the pipeline b3d exporter, 3 of the textures are there a placed correctly, the fourth one isn't.
It renders just fine in max and has a UVW map and all the rest.
I did use a baked texture but that comes out all over the place! (And yes, I have baked textures before no problem).

Pudding(Posted 2004) [#2]
Blitz only supports 2 UV Map channels; the exporter only exports the first 2 channels.

If you use UV Scaling or Rotation in the B3d Map, the results will be different in Max and Blitz because of differences in their implementations.

If this doesn't help, email me the file and I'll take a look at it.

-Pudding

Rad Gravity(Posted 2004) [#3]
Ok thanks dude, the problem is I need this map as a decal coz it looks crap otherwise. It's an eye bitmap in case you were wondering. I will email you the file and look at the mapping coords of the second object in the multi-sub material (the eye). It's obvious where I want it, in the middle of the protruding eyeball bit of the mesh but I can't get it there without using Planar from Object XYZ!

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#4]
Look up tutorials on texture mapping for low pol 3D/videogames. What you are describing is a very basic texture mapping task and one which, if done correctly, does not require separate/multi textures or texture coordinates.

Rad Gravity(Posted 2004) [#5]
Afraid not dude. It's an editable poly with different material channels for the required materials in the multi-sub object. Its just one of the maps which needs to be a decal. By the way, it makes no difference as the Planar from Object XYZ coords are ignored anyway.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#6]
Huh? "Afraid not?" What is that referring to? My whole point is that if you do things correctly you will only need a single material, not a multi-sub object. This includes changing the texture images you are using so that it's a single texture image, with sections applied as decals, instead of multiple images layered on top of each other (which is inefficient.)

Nor should you need Planar from Object XYZ coords; 3D Studio Max includes a lot of texture mapping cheats which don't work in a game engine. If you learn how to assign texture/UV coordinates you won't need anything other than the first explicit map channel. For starters, get used to the Unwrap UVW modifier.

Rad Gravity(Posted 2004) [#7]
Don't treat me like I know nothing jhocking. Go and get a life you overbearing nob-end.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#8]
Whoah, where did that come from? That time of the month, huh?