Looking to buy custom models...

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Looking to buy custom models...

OrcSlayer(Posted 2004) [#1]
Mainly I'm looking for human player models...animated...and realistic (My meaning of 'realistic': No comic book characters with foot-thick arms and a chest that's as wide as they are tall).

I'm looking to buy custom made ones for my project, any suggestions on where to look?

-OrcSlayer

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#2]
Polycount

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#3]
I do freelance 3D artwork for videogames. Feel free to peruse my portfolio (hasn't been updated in a while, but still gives a good sense of my work) on my 3DArteest website, in particular the "interactive" section. If you are interested in working with me, drop me an email so we can discuss terms.

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#4]
You can do a google and find tons of freelance artists/modelers willing to work for free on projects to get experience.

OrcSlayer(Posted 2004) [#5]
CodeD: I've looked into that...it's hard to find good quality for free, or else I just don't know where to look :-/

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#6]
www.flipcode.com is a good place.

OrcSlayer(Posted 2004) [#7]
Thanks, I'll look into that.

Techlord(Posted 2004) [#8]
Mainly I'm looking for human player models...animated...and realistic (My meaning of 'realistic': No comic book characters with foot-thick arms and a chest that's as wide as they are tall).

OrcSlayer,

Your requirement will not provide you flexibility. You should specify the type of animation. I would recommend a animated model using bones. You could end up with MD2 model and MD2 is not very flexible.

With a animated model using bones, the geometry of a character can be modified fairly easily. Thus, foot-thick arms can be reduced to norm. Texturing and Animation can be modified and added with relative ease. You can apply 'motion captured' animations, physics, inverse kinetics to the bones for the real-feel.

You can also accessorize your models by attaching Clothing and Armor at the joints or geometry. This will allow you get more for your money if the license restrictions are good.

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#9]
I'm doing my project in segments by outsourcing the modeling to freelancers, free is best but, if i have to shell out a few bucks for some good quality original stuff I'm willing to.

Concept Art ->
3D Models ->
Animation ->
Skin/Textures

So, basically it's a 4 stage process. A lot of people are only good at some things. Like my concept artist can't model but, that's okay because he's doing some great art, which will make things easy for the modelers. I have some experience with model animation so, I might take a whack at that myself. And I'm okay with Photoshop so, I might try skinning but, I'll probably get some help with the skinning.

Here's my 'model' for taking it from start to finish:
Concept Art:
Need Front Profile with detail/color of character
For every Body Set will need a pic consisting of non-detail/non-frame:
Front Profile Full Body, Back Profile Full Body, Side Profile Full Body

The 3D Modelers use the Body Profile Pics to build 3D characters, (I.E. See the SpaceHulk WIP in User Creations Forum) and the Detail/Color Art is also a handy reference.

From there you have to outline a set of universal animations for your characters for animators to work with.

Then all you have left is the skinning/texturing which you reference back to the original detail/color concept art.

That's the way to do it unless you're one of them stiff Jacks of all Trades. Me...Master of None.

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#10]
I can texture and model but can't concept.
its rare that someone can do everything.