MD3 to B3D ?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/MD3 to B3D ?

mouss38(Posted 2004) [#1]
Do you have some tips to export MD3 models to B3D ?
Milkshape does it, but it doesn't import MD3 animations...
And 3DSMAX Imports MD3 perfectly but the B3D Exporter doesn't seem to export any animations...

Rob(Posted 2004) [#2]
The B3D exporter will export the animations if you're using the skin plugin in max.

However you should still be able to convert to B3D via milkshape if milkshape imports MD3 with animation. If not, then you will need to exert some of your own skill and ensure it uses skin.

Koriolis(Posted 2004) [#3]
Mmm, how is it supposed to work? Isn't MD3 frame based? That is for each frame the position of each vertex is specified. B3D animations rely on bones AFAIK, so unless you create as many bones as there are vertices (better not even try it) I'm not sure there is any solution.

mearrin69(Posted 2004) [#4]
Should be able to go it in gameSpace, if you've got that. Haven't tried though.

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#5]
Dude, there's an md3 lib for BB3D, already. That might be easier than trying to convert md3-b3d which might have to be done part-manually.

mouss38(Posted 2004) [#6]
yes but this lib does not work ery well...

Eole(Posted 2004) [#7]
There is a md3 lib in the blitzview editor who work very well, i already use it, but you can't convert to B3D.

But this lib take much time to build the 3d model ...

mouss38(Posted 2004) [#8]
Where ?? I have downloaded the program but i can't find it

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#9]
Md3 cannot be converted to b3d (at least not with animation) because the two file formats use different kinds of animation. Md3 uses vertex animation (just like md2) while b3d uses skeletal animation.

Koriolis(Posted 2004) [#10]
Isn't there some echo here...hello?

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#11]
Heh, I know you already said that, but apparently nobody noticed so I figured it bears repeating.

Koriolis(Posted 2004) [#12]
Yep, exactly, so that wasn't aimed at you, but was precisely to point that *actually* reading replies can often save time (it's a pity if mouss38, as it seems, kept looking for MD3->b3d converter, thus wasting his time).

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#13]
Look, you can get a helluva more profesional and better 3ds, max, etc. models than some quake md3's.
A lot for free and what not.

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#14]
@Mouss38

Speaking of 3DS format as well here... I've not been able to import or export any animations through MilkShape3D in this format... I did however though, figure out how to use the DirectX 7 model format though and it works pretty dam good! You could also consider this format as an alternative to what your doing, As I believe I did see a few exporters for MD3 to X conversion. This is however just a sugestion though!!!