New Physics Engine

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/New Physics Engine

SSS(Posted 2004) [#1]
hey all, i was just lookin online and i saw a pretty resonably priced physics engine, the demos are amaisingly fast and look good etc... so i thought id post it here, i may buy it and if i did i would try and get it workin in blitz... btw it looks great people should just check out the demos for the hell of it cuz they are pretty cool

oops u get it here by the way
http://www.novodex.com/

Ice9(Posted 2004) [#2]
Yikes! the price.
The demo looks great though

Shambler(Posted 2004) [#3]
Good Lord O.o someone had better post them a link to Tokamak!

You pay a flat fee

Lol, that's the steepest unflat fee I've ever seen ^^

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#4]
Holy crap! That's expensive. Surely can't be aimed at anyone other the Top end companies...

Ken Lynch(Posted 2004) [#5]
resonably priced physics engine

Since when is this reasonably priced? OK $95 for the personal edition, but have a look at what the FAQ says about what you get.

Can I distribute my demos under the NovodeX Personal Edition license agreement?

Yes, you can. However, only computers with a licensed copy of NovodeX Personal Edition will be able to run your demo. Alternatively, we recommend you to use the *.ods file format together with the free Viewer to distribute your physics demos freely.

It's $9500 per product if you want to sell stuff. That's deffinitely a reasonably price for anyone on this forum...

Bouncer(Posted 2004) [#6]
Expensive or not... this engine is just too damn good... I'll go and shoot myself now. bye.

SSS(Posted 2004) [#7]
didnt really read the license just was looking at the personal learning version ;)... hmm ya is expensive but its really really nice (and ya i know bout tokamak but this just looked great so i thought id post it up here anyway...

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#8]
hmm. Well, don't let it get you too far down. here's the only features tokamak doesn't yet support(and may support int hr future) are:

1 collision detection shapes:
2 plane
3 triangle
4 many different types of joints:
5 prismatic
6 cylindrical???
7 point on line
8 point in plane
9 joint springs
10 anatomic joints???
11 anisotropic friction
12 reduced and Lagrange joint simulation mode
13 automatic mass and inertia computation
14 suitable for vehicles
15 debug visualization
16 nice documentation, lots of example code
17 unlimited number of objects
18 serialization of scenes???
19 multiple independent scenes
20 3DS Max exporter
21 Milkshape exporter
22 transparent memory management
23 user friendly error reporting
24 open source foundation library
25 open source scene viewer application
26 cross platform architecture

You can look at this as the features you get from switching. pretty good, but the only truely major thing is cross platform archetecture, which would only be useful with bmax. 20-25 are mostlythings that you can get other places that look like they are just there to add to the feature list, and can be gotten other places.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#9]
BTW what costs the havoc engine? I think I heared that's pretty expensive too.

Techlord(Posted 2004) [#10]
The NovodeX Personal Edition license package now contains the same functionality as the Professional Edition below. The only difference is that it is locked to a single PC.

The $95 Personal Edition is useless if you intend to promote your games beyond a single PC. If you intend to use this physics engine beyond a single PC, you would have to purchase $9,500 site license and that only pertains to ONE product.

It out of my budget and out of my mind. I'll stick with the Tokamak Pak: Tokamak Game Physics SDK 1.0.10 & Sweenie's twrapperv04.