Probably a silly texture question

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Probably a silly texture question

cash(Posted 2004) [#1]
I am etting to grips withh Blitz now and think its great.

Trouble is I look at some of the demo`s and realise how unrefined my results are.

I am using Milkshape to create my models and texture them, thing is I seem to be creating large texture maps in order fo things to scale correctly.

I look at other code and it seems that a single 128 x 128 wood image for example is being used really well to texture an entire floor area or wall, as if its being tiled in some way.

Yet I seem to be creating the floor in milkshape and then applying a texture to it and having a largish texture in order for scaling to work correctly.

Any help would be appreciated, as although I am getting results I would like to ensure maximum efiiciency.

I understand I need to use textures this way for a lot of the detail but should I be doing something different for large areas, if so any ideas ???

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#2]
Well, what most people do is use a tiling texture. The texture is small, but can be repeated over a large are without noticing the seems of the texture.

What i have started doing when i'm unwrapping is to find parts of the model, that can be repeated. Such as a human model. You could use the same part of the texture for both arms.

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#3]
I don't know if Milkshape ha s a UV editor or not. I use Ultimate Unwrap for UV editing, it's a really excellent tool. There is also LithUnwrap, which is free.

Tom(Posted 2004) [#4]
As Ross said, I don't know how Milkshapes UV editor works, but to tile a texture in most 3D programs you would increase the size of the UVs.

A picture speaks a thousand words :)
Note! I 'think' 0,0 starts in the top left corner in Blitz, in Lightwave it's bottom left.

Cya!
Tom

cash(Posted 2004) [#5]
Thanks for the hep.

Milkshape has a basic texturing tool which is suitable for most things , but when texturing a large area like a wall
it doesn1t seem to offer many options...I will look at the other tools and suggestions... thanks guys.