Mmorpg Creation Engine

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Mmorpg Creation Engine

ckob(Posted 2004) [#1]
Yes it's finally ready for release

http://servant.binary-people.com

This is a complete engine for a mmorpg save yourself all that work and start with a already made mmorpg engine all you need to do is add quest,npc's,items through our wonderful scripting language and add your own models to make it pretty and you've got yourself a mmorpg so check it out now and if you like it pick up a license to make your own mmorpg today.

Demo at http://anotherlife.no-ip.com

MMORPG ( Massivly Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game ) Creation engine. Made in blitz basic a simple yet powerful programming language ( for more info please go to Blitz Basic ). Please understand that this is not a complete game but an engine for someone who wants to build an mmorpg but can’t get started or doesn’t have enough network experience. Through time members will get free updates, models, and documentation so as time progresses the engine will turn into a full blown mmorpg. User’s who buy a license can use any media or source code in their projects commercial or not. The only thing the user is not to do is to include the model media or source code in any sort of library or bundle.
Cost $50.00 for one license which will allow the users the following:
Full documentation *kept up to date*
Full source code
Free updates for source code
All the media models,sprites,textures
Free media updates
Email support
Access to member’s page, forum, and help page
Permission to use all code and media in any software commercial or non commercial.

*(Posted 2004) [#2]
Can I create a massive space game using it?

ckob(Posted 2004) [#3]
yes you could just a matter of adding your own media

poopla(Posted 2004) [#4]
Wow, cool.. I may look into this.

ckob(Posted 2004) [#5]
yeah at least check out the demo it's worth a look

Rottbott(Posted 2004) [#6]
Edzup, you could indeed, but you would have to write some code for spaceship physics, etc. since it is designed for people walking around maps rather than spaceships flying around.

The code is all well laid out and well commented.

ckob(Posted 2004) [#7]
just so everyone knows there is a post over at blitzcoder about this as well and someone asked about the scripting so if you have any questions about it just head over to
http://www.blitzcoder.com/cgi-bin/ubb-cgi/postdisplay.cgi?forum=Forum1&topic=003371

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#8]
You should include a simple single quest mmorpg prebuilt so, it can be run and you can create or join a server with the program so, users can get a feel for it right away.

Techlord(Posted 2004) [#9]
ckob,

Its good to see that followed through on this project. Good Work!

Rottbott(Posted 2004) [#10]
CodeD, it comes with an example area and free example models, textures, etc. so you can compile and play straight away to get started.

It also comes with two example scripts, but they don't plug into the example area - they are purely there as examples.

Hotcakes(Posted 2004) [#11]
This is great. Well done, guys.

darklordz(Posted 2004) [#12]
you could @ least warn about the demo sucking the life out of ones system whilst trying to update 25 megs....

darklordz(Posted 2004) [#13]
played it...it's nice but i think you released it too soon it's a bit rough @ teh edges need a lot of polishing...

ckob(Posted 2004) [#14]
the polishing is for the license owners to do we provide the base and you make it pretty. Everything is there you just need to add stuff to it IE models,more npc's,more quest,more maps ect...

Rottbott(Posted 2004) [#15]
The demo itself is a bit "rough" because it's actually my WIP game. It does provide an idea of what the engine can do though.

Oh, and it's not 25 megs to download for the demo.. only about 12. It's 25 megs once unzipped. :P

As Ckob says, it's up to you to make the actual game using the base engine.

Ricky Smith(Posted 2004) [#16]
Demo link seems dead !

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#17]
i cold rebooted beause i couldnt stop the updater. it kept going in and out of the task window too fast for me to end task, and there was no cancel option that i could see.

ckob(Posted 2004) [#18]
hmm the reason the updater does that is because it restarts itself to apply the new patches ;P like most others but that cancel button sounds like a good idea

ckob(Posted 2004) [#19]
An update has been made with example quest in the engine's install so there will be a bunch of examples for users

Agamer(Posted 2004) [#20]
o kwl

ckob(Posted 2004) [#21]
sure :) check out the demo you'll think its even cooler

ckob(Posted 2004) [#22]
new link update :) www.mmorpgce.com

Techlord(Posted 2004) [#23]
ckob,

I would like to see a list of engine features pertaining to rendering, audio, network, and internet. I'm very interested in knowing what optimizations are implemented.

ckob(Posted 2004) [#24]
ok...there is a features list on the website but I'll get one to u

ashmantle(Posted 2004) [#25]
Ok.. I am very interesting in a mmorpg framework, but need more information before buying.. I tried the demo, but I had to coldboot my laptop each time.. so I didn't get a chance to see it in action (ati radeon 9200 driver gave some complaints)

I would like to know minimum bandwith requirements and how you handle character position interpolation.

a list:

1. Bandwith (in bytes.. be spesific - how many updates per sek and what gets sendt)
2. Monsters/NPC roaming
3. landscape features.. zones or continuous landscape?
4. layout of basic framework.. what do you provide, and what is up to the programmer..

and probably some more when I get to think a bit about it.. but it looks very promising!

Techlord(Posted 2004) [#26]
ckob,

Their are a few features not stated on the website. Here are a few I'm would features I would like to see mentioned:

Modular World Hierarchy: Hierarchical Instantiation of modular world geometries minimizes the required download time for content updates, allowing players to enjoy extremely fast upgrades. By eliminating redundant data, our worlds can contain hundreds of millions of polygons, and still be stored in only a few hundred Kilobytes.

Progressive Detail Layering: PDL (a new variation on the classic object-replacement LOD system) allows for detailed outdoor worlds, but minimizes both engine workload and animator build time. The world may be made of hundreds of millions of polygons, but PDL insures only the ones you're looking at get drawn, insuring maximum frame rate.

Modular Portals: Modular Portals accomplish the same goals of minimizing engine and animator workload, but work with indoor worlds by incorporating visibility rules into the Modular World Hierarchy.

Animation: Smooth-skinned character animation system with many advanced features: swappable parts, LOD, compression, integrated particle FX, etc.

Particle System: Particle system capable of producing explosions, fire, smoke, as well as complex multi-part effects for intense combat graphics.

Bump Mapping: Character and environment bump mapping where supported by hardware for enhanced visuals.

Massively Multiplayer Server Architecture: While the Game Client works on making everything look pretty, the Server Architecture works behind the scenes to bring that experience to many thousands of players at the same time. The server is the final arbiter of the game state - never the client.

Thousands of Players in a Single World: Imagine adventuring in a city where ten thousand of the other inhabitants are live players. It would take years to even meet them all, and there would be no shortage of worthy competition and companionship - no matter what your level of experience.

Network Data Transmission: The Server is designed to update each game client about the locations and status of any possibly visible game entities as quickly as possible, using as little network bandwidth as possible. The server can keep you up to date even if there are hundreds of visible entities (out of thousands in the world.) On a modem. With a bad connection.

Content Development Pipeline: The tool chain supports the integration of graphics, animation, and audio into the game in an extremely efficient manner.

Real Time, In Game Editor: Game content can be added or removed using the in-game editor. Fully dynamic collision, lighting, visibility, AI, FX, and audio systems completely eliminate the need for time intensive reprocessing of levels while designers refine content.

Event Driven AI Scripting: Designers can create elaborate AI behavioral patterns that are only initiated when appropriate.

The Updater's performance is slow and questionable when compared to downloading files of 5x the size. Is it supposed to behave like this?

ckob(Posted 2004) [#27]
right I'll get a webpage up to answer all those questions
and frank this engine is made in blitz3d some of the stuff you mention is brand new territory in the game dev world

we use blitzplay for the network and the bandwidth for the server for one month with a usual amount of 6 players was only 232 kb for the entire month hosted on my T1 line.

Forbidden(Posted 2004) [#28]
Looks promissing.

I think the engine is kool and a lot of the work required to make a mmropg game have already been produced.

The problem that I come about when looking over it is the areas are all zoned. =(

I have been working for about a month so on a seamless world engine that will be controlled by a server for giving a effect of a real 3d MMORPG world.

Working with all the textures features I can think off. overlaying..

I am still learning about positioning textures and posible creating a system to load and position textures on a given landblock.

the over all world design is a art in it self.

But.. great work!

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#29]
Frank, you must have seen the game engine demo from www.crytek.com, because that seems to be what you're describing.

And as far as thousands of players playing at a time. If someone makes a mmorpg in Blitz that gets that kind of attention I will lose complete control of my bladder.

The problem isn't programming in Blitz, the problem is someone making a game good enough to get that kind of attention.

Rottbott(Posted 2004) [#30]
Forbidden, you could make the whole world as one area called "World" if you liked, but you would have to do some programming to optimise it for that situation, since it's designed for seperate areas.

ckob(Posted 2004) [#31]
had rottbott come up with some answers for all of you :)

Answers to questions:

The game usually uses about 2 KB/s for one player, but more when many
players are in the same area. It is quite possible to run two players
sharing one 56k connection without any lag.

When a character moves, the position he is at and the position he is heading
towards is sent to each client from the server. The angle is not sent. The
clients then set his destination to the one given, and move him just like
any other object.

Monster AI is all handled server side, and at the moment simply makes them
randomly run around their roam area. If set to agressive, they will detour
to attack any player who comes near.

Landscapes are split into areas which the player can warp between at
strategic points decided by the map editor.

As a programmer using this engine, all you HAVE to do is change a few names,
and write the green and blue magic spell effects to do whatever you like.
However you can customise the game a lot more than that quite easily, as the
code is well laid out and commented. Anyone wanting help on specific issues
with the code can email me or post on the forums and I will do my best to
help with it.

As for the updater, it's *almost* as fast as an IE download (it uses a
modified version of the BlitzGet function in the code archives). There is
one big improvement that could do with being made - it should only connect
once to the server instead of continually connecting and reconnecting for
each file! This will soon be addressed in an update.

ashmantle(Posted 2004) [#32]
Ok.. this is enough for me taking out my wallet.. :)

Techlord(Posted 2004) [#33]
As for the updater, it's *almost* as fast as an IE download
Well I'm appearently missing something, because the downloads are 5x slower then IE on my cable 2.0m cable modem. Please advise.

ashmantle(Posted 2004) [#34]
If we get the code for the updater, it should be easy to change it to your specs.. or make your own :)

ckob(Posted 2004) [#35]
yes frank on my 1 mb line standerd T1 I breeze right through the updater

Rottbott(Posted 2004) [#36]
Frank,

It is roughly the same speed on 56k. I suspect this is because on 56k, most time is spent downloading. On broadband, the downloads are so fast that the connection process becomes a much higher percentage of the total time taken. Therefore reconnecting on every file has a much greater effect on broadband than for 56k users.

Therefore when I fix this (which I'm hoping will be a 10 minute job, but I'm not too hot on the HTTP protocol), it should speed up drastically for broadband users, although dialup users will not experience as much improvement.

ckob(Posted 2004) [#37]
Well I've been doing my own thing and I came up with a nice little forest :P ignore the rain texture :P

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#38]
I will buy your engine soon. looks pretty cool

ckob(Posted 2004) [#39]
great... if you want check out the forums there are some open forums but members get access to alot of useful forum sections and members area

darklordz(Posted 2004) [#40]
like i said the updater tools totaly ate my mem alive 2Ghz machine, and the demo is very rough around the edges and i hope it's not but i suspect the actual game is the same...Also my pc crached after exiting ur demo....And usualy downlading 25 mb takes about 4 mins +- but it took ur updater 30 mins+

ckob(Posted 2004) [#41]
well darklordz sorry that you have trouble with it. The engine is constently being developed so new patches are released almost weekly the idea of the engine is not a complete mmorpg but the ground work all you do is add your models,scripts,npc's and boom your done any extra features you wanted you could add

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#42]
It takes work no doubt. It's not wam bam thank you mam. But, the source code is not bad. Right now, I'm rewriting the whole thing from scratch. It's not an overnighter by any means and I have to brush up on some stuff but, it's coming along okay.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#43]
Not sure if this has been answered or not. but seems really important to me.

Say for an average of around 300 people playing on the games server. WHATS is the server bandwidth going to be like ?

At the end of the day were going to have to fork out for real time hosting of the server to make sure its high enough spec and fast enough to handle all the players. your not gona host a big server on 56k ;) so whats the average bandwidth like ?

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#44]
Updaters are commonly slow because they are not only downloadig but then applyung upates.. am i wrong here.. I experienced the same thing with everquest when it was first released. I would need a cancel button though in case someone got tired of waiting.

Rottbott(Posted 2004) [#45]
Yavin, bandwidth is very low. Two players can share a single 56k connection with no slowdown. It should be able to handle a few hundred players just using a 512k cable connection as the server.

RifRaf, that's correct. You can close the updater at any time, and when you run it again it will resume from where it left off.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#46]
Thats good to hear.

ckob(Posted 2004) [#47]
we stated that earlier in the post :P I plan on writing a FAQ very soon that should answer almost all of these questions.

Skitchy(Posted 2004) [#48]
What is the realtime shadow system like? Does it support self shadowing / mesh->mesh shadows / shadows projected up as well as down / or is it limited to terrain shadow only?

If I buy the system, would it be ok to rip out the shadow system and use it in another game (provided I don't give out the code obviously).

ckob(Posted 2004) [#49]
once you buy the engine your free to do with it what you please minus give out the code :P but adding bits and piece's to a already made project is fine. as for the shadow system you'll have to email rottbott for a detailed answer but the shadows are cast from the players

Rottbott(Posted 2004) [#50]
The shadow system casts from any object to any object but is fairly integrated with the game, so it might be tricky to remove it. Also the shadows don't wrap around objects, they are simple textured flat planes aligned to whatever they fall on.