What map editor do you use?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/What map editor do you use?

Rambus(Posted 2004) [#1]
Just to give me/others good ideas of what software to work with. Of course theres maplet, but outside of that what do you use?

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#2]
Cartography Shop, 3Ds MAx, Quill, Milkshape, Giles are some of the tools I use - all are very good at what they do.

IPete2.

Rambus(Posted 2004) [#3]
I use 3ds max to make models, but have never used it to create maps. Can/how do you do lightmaps in it and place entities? any info on using it would be much apreciated.

Shambler(Posted 2004) [#4]
Cartography Shop/Quill3D depending on my mood at the time =)

Gile[s] all the time because it's soooo good.

TextureMaker.

Fontext.

PaintShopPro.

Rambus(Posted 2004) [#5]
I found a free program 'light map maker' works good for adding light maps to 3ds maps.

now just to figuer out my entity delema :/

N(Posted 2004) [#6]
Cartography Shop, Wings 3d, and 3d Studio Max. Wings 3d for more exterior work, 3d Studio Max for interior and exterior work/terrain, and Cartography Shop for when I need interiors.

I suggest looking at the Luminaire tools if you want to do lightmaps in 3d Studio Max.

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#7]
you should have said 'what map editor do you use 'sucker''
then you could have sounded like mr t

SopiSoft(Posted 2004) [#8]
Cartography Shop 4, 3DS Max, MilkShape3D

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#9]
I use my own at the moment... QoolEdit!!!

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#10]
maplet for the raw building. 3dsmax 2.5 for interior stuff, where I make the uvmapping with lithunwrap 1.3. and paint the textures in photoshop 6. CharacterFX for animation. And the csp leveleditor to put everything together.

JaviCervera(Posted 2004) [#11]
My workflow to make maps is:

Qoole -> BSP Factory -> Gile[s]

Rambus(Posted 2004) [#12]
Call me cheap, Sure I am. But does any one have a list of free editors? Im shallow, Only buy from giant companys and not lone programers :/

Beaker(Posted 2004) [#13]
Maplet, and er... Maplet.

Rambus(Posted 2004) [#14]
:/
I guess I will stick with my outragusly overpriced 3d program!

RiverRatt(Posted 2004) [#15]
Is there any reason you can,t use milkshape for maps 0r at
least houses or buildings?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#16]
god - use maplet with decorator, that's for free.

RiverRatt(Posted 2004) [#17]
I can make Milkshape sing! I can create anything I think of fast. But for some reason I cant make heads of tails out of maplet. I gues its becouse you cant select points, or individual faces, or like a wall, and manipulate it exept rotate. Mabye i just need more tutorials but sofar its just a little too simple. I've seen some awsome games being made with maplet and i can't believe it. Howd they do that?
I have also tried Quark army knife and It works great but Its got allot of things in it I don,t understand, like why my copy doesent work any more. If I had just aprogram like quark but not with all it complicated specs,uttilities, and technicalities I could make Maps.

John Blackledge(Posted 2004) [#18]
Agree about Milkshape, it's worth the time investment, and what it produces is rock-solid and 100% compatible with Blitz (unlike 3DS). For statics and because of it's ease of use try Metasequioa, a great editor that's spoiled me for all the others:
http://www21.ocn.ne.jp/~mizno/main_e.html