how to manipulate mesh bones

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/how to manipulate mesh bones

Neochrome(Posted 2004) [#1]
Can this be done, i have a monster and want to move the head seperatly from an animation.. how can i move the head seperatly use bones? or would i be better of splitting up the mesh in to a body and head??

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#2]
You can certainly use bones. You will need to attach a handle to the bone (probably using FindChild and the name of the bone) and then manipulate it as a normal entity. Note that you will need to do manipulations after UpdateWorld, as bones snap to their keyframe positions at UpdateWorld.

Ricky Smith(Posted 2004) [#3]
Have a look at this example = you can manuipulate the head while the animation is running using the tecnique explained above.

http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=660

John Blackledge(Posted 2004) [#4]
Could do with somebody working out a method so that two separate animations could be played simultaneously. e.g. Talking, and ArmGesture3. But I dream.

Algo(Posted 2004) [#5]
Just as a side note, if you don't make any keys for a bone you don't have to do manipulations after UpdateWorld, you can do then before with all your other code.

John, all you'd have to do is animate two meshes, hide one, animate both and read the rotations from the hidden one and use that to manually rotate the visible one.

RetroBooster(Posted 2004) [#6]
Don't forget to clearsurface the hidden one to save you a lot of translation/rotation!

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#7]
So it's possible to bones a character, then animate him yourself, from within blitz, just using rotaeentity and such??

That could be very useful!

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#8]
Not just "could" be useful, it IS extremely useful. Using ScaleEntity on bones can be pretty useful too. And of course parenting objects to bones; no better way to attach a weapon to a character's hand.

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#9]
"Could" because i've just out about it :)

Cheers!

Neochrome(Posted 2004) [#10]
THIS WORKS! OH OH!!

ABSOLUTLY TUBULER!

YOU Can parent entities to bones!!! only with b3d#s tho! but OH YEAH BABY!!