Frame Rate

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Frame Rate

AbbaRue(Posted 2004) [#1]
I have the Radeon 9800 video card.
and I was woundering if anyone knows how to get the frame rate in blitz3D to go above 100 fps.
My video card is controling my frame rate at 100 Hz thus 100 fps on me.
Does anyone have a Radeon video card that is getting more than 100 fps.?

Shambler(Posted 2004) [#2]
Are you using Flip False?

AbbaRue(Posted 2004) [#3]
Yes I tried Flip False and Flip True. I always get 100 fps.
And if I set my video card refresh rate at 60 hz. I always get 60 fps.

Shambler(Posted 2004) [#4]
In display properties is Force Vertical Sync on, or maybe Highest Quality is selected?

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#5]
It all depends on how your code is setup. At least as far as I understand, anytime your main loop waits for Flip before continuing, the framerate will max at the monitor's refresh rate. However, certain ways of coding de-couple the game updating from rendering; this generally involves render tweening. Note that the actual rendering will still max to your monitor's refresh rate. It is physically impossible to render any faster than that. When a game's framerate is higher than the monitor's refresh rate, the framerate is only referring to internal calculations of the game's state.

I have to ask, why do you want more than 100fps? Other than possibly some esoteric physics simulation, I can't imagine why you'd want your game to update faster than that. I certainly never need faster than that and thus never bother with render tweening.

AbbaRue(Posted 2004) [#6]
The reason I asked this question is I often see other peoples frame rate displayed for tests
and they mention things like 250 fps. And I just wondered how they can get that.
I have never been able to see any frame rate higher then my monitors refresh rate.
I thought maybe they set something different in blitz.

AbbaRue(Posted 2004) [#7]
Thanks Shambler. I just selected application preference for vertical sync.
And now my program is getting 255 fps.
I don't know why I didn't notice that setting before?