Mouse shooting and leading target

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Mouse shooting and leading target

*(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi,
does anyone have any code for mouse shooting (ie shooting shots in 3d space towards where the mouse cursor is at). Also a leading target function would be a great help, ie where to shoot to hit the target ship. Thanks in advance.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#2]
there is a demo in the code archives:
http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=559
maybe this is useful.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#3]
Mouse shooting is pretty easy using CameraPick. As for leading a target, I wrote a function to do this in 2D as a cheat for a "Missile Command" clone somebody wrote:

;----------------------------------------------------------
;cheat to aid aiming
Function Cheat()
Color 255,0,0
For M.Meteor = Each Meteor
distance#=M\m
x#=(M\Vector\x*distance)+M\ox
y#=(M\Vector\y*distance)+M\oy
For i=1 To 6
distance=M\m+M\speed*Sqr((x-gunx)*(x-gunx)+(y-guny)*(y-guny))/bulletspeed
x=(M\Vector\x*distance)+M\ox
y=(M\Vector\y*distance)+M\oy
Next
Oval x,y,4,4
Next
End Function
;----------------------------------------------------------

Basically I use a little trigonometry to calculate where the target will be by the time the shot crosses its path if I shoot directly at the target. Then I repeat the calculation but this time figuring out where the target will be if I fire at the location I determined in the previous calculation. I repeat this several times (6 times in the code above, but the number of times you will need to do it will vary; enough times to be accurate, but not too often that you're slowing down the program execution,) narrowing in on the correct leading, to determine where to shoot at. In my code I draw a red dot at the spot, but obviously you could do whatever you want with the information once you've figured out the coordinates. Something along these lines could be done in three dimensions for a 3D game.