Source Code and You

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Source Code and You

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#1]
First off, if you run over to darkbasic.com they've got a whole bundle package including dbpro, cartogrophy shop, model editor, texture editor, terrain editor, and a 3d model suite for like $260 so, if you're looking to pay that much for just a level editor package you might wanna re-re-view! Not to mention there are healthy free alternatives that can be found in places like planetquake for one, and (hint) for those of you who are familiar with irc doors can open for substantially low cost ($ = 0). Now, I'm not adding for anyone I only looked at db once and I wasn't too impressed. But, if anyone has switched from DB to Blitz or visa versa I'd be interested to hear about it.

Anyway, on to the main rant!!

Share your source damnit!!
Of course, you don't have to share all of your award winning source but, sharing source code is what makes the world go 'round. When I start making new games or start using a new sdk I usually start by making skeleton games or an engine within an engine. Why, in my ultimate wisdom do you ask?
Well, it's pretty simple. You make a re-usable game engine source for a particular genre/platform and you can spin-off other games/apps in the same genre as easy as cheese.
So, don't spend your every waking moment working on the FPS of your lifetime but, make the code even hard for yourself to understand when you try and go back over it.
Why? Because, that's just wasted work. Cluttered Code is Bad, Bad, Bad!!

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#2]
What was the point of this post ? or did I miss something in the code archives ?

Oh and it looks like an ADD to me.! :X

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2004) [#3]
That is something that you learn through time, not from other people.

Yavin - can you *please* remove the animated pictures from your signature and/or make it under the 80 pixel tall limit?

Agamer(Posted 2004) [#4]
yeyh Yavin I ahve to agree they are anoying

And back to topic yeh O thought that was what the code archives were for!

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#5]
@ Michael NO.

Ill move the sig so that its under the 80 pixel limit. but the little doods have been my sig since I joined the forum. and your the first to complain about them.

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2004) [#6]
> Share your source damnit!!

Heh. Can't you be arsed to do anything yourself?

> apps in the same genre as easy as cheese.

I love cheese.

> but the little doods have been my sig
> since I joined the forum.

And that makes a difference how? Can you please resize them to 1x1 pixels. Then I'd be happy.

N(Posted 2004) [#7]
"Share your source damnit!!"

Already doing that. Links and information on functions/variables/types/etc. for Vein are on http://s87776868.onlinehome.us/vein/info.html

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#8]
Yavin, you missed this: http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=29967

BlitzSupport(Posted 2004) [#9]
CodeD, see the Code Archives...

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#10]
@jfk yeah I did miss that.

But hay its not against the rules is it for my wee animated doods. ?? Blitz Support ?

if it is then I will of course remove them. if not then live with it.

gburgess(Posted 2004) [#11]
I switched from DB to Blitz3d. I had a look at the DBPro demo, and my DB game would not work in it because it was so buggy. I think the majority of bugs are fixed and DBPro can make some pretty sweet effects, but it's still not good enough for me in the language department. Graphically it has some amazing abilities but I just prefer Blitz3D's way of doing things, and I'm not sorry I made the switch. Blitz3D is so very much faster than DB, and has a high enough level of graphical ability to make visually interesting, if not astounding-looking games. And it's absolutely stable.

There's nothing really wrong with the DB/DBPro line, aside from a few bugs in DBPro (although maybe every last one has been fixed by now), I'm just happier and much more productive in Blitz3D.

DarkEagle(Posted 2004) [#12]
> and (hint) for those of you who are familiar with irc
> doors can open for substantially low cost ($ = 0).

oh dear...

Beaker(Posted 2004) [#13]
Is it just me, or shouldn't this thread be deleted?

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#14]
@Yavin, i actually browse at 1024x768 so when you post, i don't have that annoying scroll bar and the page goes big...

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#15]
yeah, like nobody uses irc or p2p.

'not holier than thou'

and yes, delete this thread.

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#16]
That fact is mate, some people on this board are creating software or games to be sold. Talk of pirate software and such, is a bit of a slap in the face.

Ricky Smith(Posted 2004) [#17]

and (hint) for those of you who are familiar with irc doors can open for substantially low cost ($ = 0)

What you imply by these comments is dishonest

yeah, like nobody uses irc or p2p.

I think you picked the wrong forum .

Almo(Posted 2004) [#18]
I will not dignify this thread by replying to it.

Uh... oops.

:D

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#19]
who said anything about pirating software mate? I said 'free alternatives' and besides the healthy number of options that can be found on planetquake like qradiant you can find a lot of other great freeware/shareware utilities on irc or p2p that you might not find readily availiable online for $=0 just like I said. You know what happens when you assume right? ...out of u and me

gburgess(Posted 2004) [#20]
Oh please, it's pretty clear you were referring to pirated software, even without the "(hint)" that makes it even more obvious. Seriously, if you're looking for free utils, the easiest place is the web, not IRC. If you're looking for pirate software, then you go to IRC, simple as that. Don't try and convice us that you weren't referring to pirated software, it insults everyone's intelligence. If someone has spent the time to write a worthwhile free application, they will have it uploaded somewhere on the web, and that will be the easiet place to get it, not trawling through IRC.

There's rash assumptions and perfectly reasonable assumptions. That was a reasonable one.

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#21]
For your information there are plenty of irc channels that host freeware apps/plugins/etc. that are either hard to find or not even availiable on the net anymore.

gburgess(Posted 2004) [#22]
Oh, right, fair enough. You were referring to the legitimate software on IRC, not the (hint) other advantage of IRC.

What? I was talking about the ability to converse with other users. I just put the (hint) in for decoration. Whoa, no one mentioned pirate software. You assume too much.

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#23]
Glenn, I have the utmost respect for you, jam, and everybody else here on the B3D forums. Whether what I posted was or wasn't taken out of context I believe that end-users should have the ability to try before they buy, and not just rely on a some snazzy screenshots or demos. I don't believe in full-fledge software piracy of profiting from it. However, I believe that p2p, irc, usenets, etc. do provide valid services to many people.
I tried out a program called The 3D Game Studio A5 by Conitec, which retails for $1250.00 and was thoroughly disappointed by it. While it does allow you to quickly and easily make games, those quick and easy games are mostly garbage and it is very limited by the C-Script that it utilizes (has no ide). The physics is utterly horrible and trying to modify and create your own scripts is an utter mess. Their new version A6 which I tried a demo of, is almost exactly the same thing as A5 except they built the particle engine into which was actually a script that a user made and they want $850.00. Now, that's my opinion but, I stand behind it.
I reviewed a lot of 3d engines before I came across Blitz Basic 3D. I tried out the demo, and downloaded a lot of games that people made with it and decided to purchase it. The only other program that I saw that stood next to B3D as far as price and quality was Torque from GarageGames.
The list of programs that I reviewed and rejected include:
3DRAD, DarkBasic, Cipher, Jamagic, 3D Game Studio, 3D Game Maker, Unreal Engine ($350,000 a bit out my league), Amp 2, Auran Jet, Renderware, PowerRender, and a slew of others.
However, the fact that B3D seemed to have a fluorishing support community and it was based on my native language Basic I decided to go this way. As you might infer by my presence in these forums, I'm a registered user and paid the $100US just like everyone else.
So, I do support indie developers and quality software.

'And that's all I got to say about that'

AbbaRue(Posted 2004) [#24]
Never heard of irc before. What is it anyway?

BlackJumper(Posted 2004) [#25]
I am sick of people on these forums posting ADDs for pirate software...

e.g. http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=29782

and

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=29958

;-)