3DS MAX normals. :/

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/3DS MAX normals. :/

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hay all. I did this tank model on thursday, today I got round to looking at it in blitz and for some reason its flipped some of the normals of the model, so some parts not all are flipped. ??

I can set its entityfx to 16 to disable back culling and it fixes it but Id rather not have to do that. im wondering if there is any other way to re align max with blitz.

TBH im not sure why it looks ok on max but some parts are flipped in blitz.

Any help would be nice. thanks.

napole0n(Posted 2004) [#2]
Don't know for Max, but in Maya you can turn on Back Face Culling, and you can see if normals are flipped (usually happens when duplicating objects and scale them to a negative value and then combine polygon meshes). Probably you'd better reverse those normals in Max before exporting.

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#3]
Go to max and use a reset xform modifier on your model . Then a normals modifier - check 'unify normals'.

CyBeRGoth(Posted 2004) [#4]
yup, what Ruz said :P
I assume you mirrored or copied some elements of the mesh, it does that if you do.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#5]
Yeah I used mirror. I textured some parts then mirrored em over. ill have a look at what Ruz just said.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#6]
I ended up just re modeling it again :/

lol Oh well . thanks for the tips though. and your right timmy it was mirrored objects that goofed the normals.

so thanks for the heads up i wont mirror things from now on ill just copy em.

CyBeRGoth(Posted 2004) [#7]
There wasnt really a need to redo the model, just do as Ruz said and reset the mesh using 'reset xform' should have done it for you.