Halo - sicne you are the king of singularity - I have a question

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Halo - sicne you are the king of singularity - I have a question

karmacomposer(Posted 2004) [#1]
First, let me thank you personally for being the incredible coder (and humanitarian for allowing us access to your coding) that you are.

I got singularity working in blitz - but have had zero luch making a level of any kind in cart shop 4 and porting it. I tried just loading in the room demo that ships with cart shop 4 and it's a no go.

What am I doing wrong? Or better yet, how do I do things right? Since I am not the strongest coder out there - singularity looks to almost have the "plug-n-play" mentality I am looking for - create a level, load it in and viola - instant level mayhem (well, not really that - but close)

By the way, after trying three versions of singulaity, I still like the 1st level the best (the 2nd one seemed so small - just that one room and all). If you put all three together as a level - now you got something awesome.

On another note, I would like to offer my music services to future versions of singularity or anything else you are doing. I am doing television scores, game scores and so much more - so obviously my music is good enough for that - I'd love to give something back and help make singulaity THE FREE engine for all Blitz users!!!!

I appreciate any help you can give me Halo

Mike Felker

P.S. You and I go wayyyyyyyy back to the Dark Basic 0.1, 3drad and gamestudio a4 and a5 days - not sure if you remember me????

poopla(Posted 2004) [#2]
MusicMan, I am doing an MMORPG for the blitz community, would you consider donating anything to that? The project is still early on, but I do hope to make it something many people here will contribute to and enjoy.

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#3]
The .csm file format changed in version 4. There is a new loader included in the CShop help files. You will have to do some work to implment the entities and stuff in the engine. I did not release any kind of game engine update for CShop4.

I think the future is going to involve an OpenGL engine, very much like Blitz3D, but integrated seamlessly with the editor. Those who use the CShop/Singularity combination understand the power of an engine/editor and entity system. I don't think many Blitz users even come close to comprehending an engine, vs. a hard-coded puzzle game.

We are creating worlds.

Warren(Posted 2004) [#4]
Lead on, oh wise one. *grunts*

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#5]
That's what I intend to do, oh ye of little brain.

darklordz(Posted 2004) [#6]
hahahaha he said little....

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#7]
Hey, could you send me some links to your music? I might have some work for you.

BHoltzman(Posted 2004) [#8]
Wow. I take it you didn't vote for Bush? I voted for that other guy.

maximo(Posted 2004) [#9]
hahah, theather ;)

Warren(Posted 2004) [#10]
That's what I intend to do, oh ye of little brain.

Thanks. I'll get back to developing UnrealEd now... You know UnrealEd, right? A level editor that's actually useful?

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#11]
Useful or not, I probably make more money from CShop than what Epic pays you. Of course, this is only a side job for me.

I actually voted for Nader. I live in California, remember?

Warren(Posted 2004) [#12]
Useful or not, I probably make more money from CShop than what Epic pays you. Of course, this is only a side job for me.

Heh, OK.

(tu) sinu(Posted 2004) [#13]

I don't think many Blitz users even come close to comprehending an engine, vs. a hard-coded puzzle game.

These words are so true, and i only realised a while back when halo started posting stuff on entity systems and his opengl engine. Since then i've come along so much that i can't believe it myself. Everytime i code anything now the style in which i do it is as if i was coding it for an open ended engine. Thi includes control routines to animation systems.
Looking back one month at my own code and i feel embarrased at how bad it was, it was like once it's been coded, a damn lot of editing, rewriting needs to be done to modify it for me or the end user(if was available)

ps this also goes for BVM, which made me think more about the end user, and allowing everything i coded to be modifiable without the user seeing the actual code or touching it.
Also halo isn't the king of cshop he's the queen :)
Halo, you keep posting any advice you've got on coding cos im listening to what you have to say and learn alot from you samples, those who knock you should post better advice/code or keep quite.
Finally on the quote above, i really think you should post more on it ie concepts and reasons for it for the people who don't realise or understand, that way you will be helping more rather than coming off as bigheaded.

Warren(Posted 2004) [#14]
Conversely, most programmers don't understand the difference between an engine/renderer demo and a game.

(tu) sinu(Posted 2004) [#15]
true, though halo's comments are aimed more at intermediate/advanced programmers, novice programmers aren't expected to understand this kind of stuff when they are still grasping coding in general.

Warren(Posted 2004) [#16]
Hell, programmer forums are FULL of guys, new and experienced alike, who seem to have no idea that a renderer that loads levels and has coronas is FAR from being a complete game.

(tu) sinu(Posted 2004) [#17]
fair point, but it really comes down to so many different areas, you could be an advanced programmer in graphics routines, compression, sound or maths but the understanding is a different thing to actual practice. Hopefully an advanced( which little on here truly are) coder does know the difference between what a renderer and physics engine is or are they really advance, if not.

karmacomposer(Posted 2004) [#18]
Shattered Reality - sure, love to help. Look at the link below to see what I can do.

Halo - awesome dude - I wait with baited breath for the OpenGL version - I really want to have something like an all-in-one system anyway.

www.mfelkerco.com/mymusic/

I will place some of my music there for your listening pleasure. None of you may use any of it for anything, as I am under contract for all of those. However, since I created every single one of them (and hold the copyright as well), I can easily make something for any of you!!!

karmacomposer(Posted 2004) [#19]
I just put around 12 scores that I have created myself - again - no using - just for your listening pleasure. I can easily create more and some of my best stuff isn't even among these.

If you need more - I'll be happy to post em

Mike

maximo(Posted 2004) [#20]
>has coronas is FAR from being a complete game

You are incorect EpicMan ;) it's lightyears away from even starting to be something close to a complete game. Far is not enough :D

poopla(Posted 2004) [#21]
Good lord epicboy, doesnt a well rounded high class gent' like yourself have anything better to do then slag off other people's hard work? I'd like to see you code unreal Ed on your own(Unless you did, in which case I say bravo[doubt it]), and without being paid for it for the first year of development.

Warren(Posted 2004) [#22]
Good lord epicboy, doesnt a well rounded high class gent' like yourself have anything better to do then slag off other people's hard work?

During long compiles? No.

poopla(Posted 2004) [#23]
At least your honest :). Honestly though we would all benefit from you shutting up. jk ;).

Warren(Posted 2004) [#24]
Hmm ... no.

poopla(Posted 2004) [#25]
Lol, it's all good.

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#26]
I think that Epic guy is afraid of me, for some reason. I've built a business, I have four artists working for me right now, and I have got some good partners established who trust my judgement when it comes to programs I want to develop. I need answer to no one.

Anyways, I agree, a complete system is needed. The idea behind Blitz3D and DB is that the user should write the engine, but it's so much work that no one does. Furthermore, the lack of uniform stndards ensures that one you get up there, you will forever be alone in the code. This will change that, because you can just place an emitter or something in CShop, have it displayed in real-time, and get the exact same effect in the game engine.

MusicMan, I checked out your tunes. I felt like they sounded too heavily "midi", but would be interested in working with you if you are willing to do some research and advance your methods. Thanks for offering that, dude.