Trouble with sound

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Trouble with sound

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hello all.

Im having some bother with something that really should not be so hard..

I have a game sound, it needs to be called if an object in the game is destroyed.

So im using the folloing code.
If ChannelPlaying(line_ch6)=1

Else
  line_ch6=PlaySound(line_snd)
  ChannelPitch line_ch6,40000
End If	

The handle line_ch6, is one of 6 variables, and my code is like above but with all 6 channel handles trapped inside that nested if. so if chan 1 is playing check chan 2 and so on.

The thing is Even though im probably never gona play 6 sounds at once before the first stops playing again I still seem to be getting dead air on some object deaths.

For an older project I setup a type array to handle channels, and I thought hay Ill try that here.

But for some reason I can use an array or a type array to handle these 6 sound channels.

I guess im probably doing something wrong, cos I think the logic behind it is sound. so I'm hoping that you fine bunch will point out what im doing wrong.

On that note. has anyone come up with a really good way of handling sound channels. ?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#2]
Personally I wouldn't handle the channels myself, I would let Blitz do that job. Just play the sounds and store the channel as long as it is required.

boom=PlaySound(line_snd)
ChannelPitch boom,40000
; won't be used anymore, so let's forget about it

if a sound is looped, store it's channel in a permanent global variable, such as "music_channel" or something.

Most Soundcards have 16 or 32 Channels, so it happens rarely that there aren't enough channels.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#3]
Thanks for that jfk. The sounds I was dealing with in the past were all looped so I used a sound system for a bit more control over them...

These ones are not looped, I guess I just didnt think about it like that, Ie just play it and forget about it.

So thanks for the heads up.