RESIDENT EVIL

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/RESIDENT EVIL

Ash_UK(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi guys, can any please tell me how to go about creating a resident evil type of game. For example i need to know how to set up a pre-rendered bitmap background, but have a 3d character being able to interact with the scene convincingly eg. The character looks like he/she is walking on the ground of the pre-rendered bitmap etc.

If anyone could help, i would be very grateful

Thanks again
IcE

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#2]
well ive never tried a game like that but off the top of my head I would imagine that you would create a scene from primitaves.. like a cube for a chair.. put it all where you want it and save that scene.. save it with the camera exaclly where you want the scne to be viewed from, then render a still shot of that.. and from that primitive shot you can add detail for your final background image.. using the primitave 3d scene for collisions?

like i said, never tried it before, im sure there are better ways.

Tom(Posted 2004) [#3]
Hi,

All guesswork, off the top of my head :)

If the Camera had fixed positions (I don't recall what camera view were like in RE), you could render a scene in in a 3D program, but you'd also need a simplified copy of that 3D scene to use for collisions. Along with that you'd have to export the Cameras position and focal info and match it up in Blitz.

You could draw the pre-rendered background, move your character about, it would collide with the proxy collision level so it'd never move to areas where it shouldn't be.

Aside from that, you'd need to overlay certain parts of the bitmap after drawing the 3D character. Like if you had a box in the middle of a room, and from the camera view your characters legs are behind it, you'd need a matte image of the box and draw that over the characters legs.

There'd be a little more work to do as to whether you overlay the matte images or not, if the character is in front of the box, you won't want to draw the box over him!

Just ideas :)

Tom
p.s I checked the Dark Realms site and noticed you're in Liverpool. I'm in Bootle :P

(tu) sinu(Posted 2004) [#4]
why not just make it fully 3d, not pre-rendered?

Zethrax(Posted 2004) [#5]
There was a game in the showcase area over at Blitzcoder.com that used a Resident Evil style setup but I'm not sure if it included source code.

Try doing a search in the showcase area using the text "Resident Evil". I'm fairly sure that text appeared on the game's description page somewhere.

Techlord(Posted 2004) [#6]
BioScan
Author: Lee 'TeraBit' Page
Description: A demo that uses a Resident Evil style rendering technique, to display 3D graphics over 2D backdrops.
Download! (1.01 MB)

cash(Posted 2004) [#7]
There are a couple of good examples of this as explained above.
I made some tests a little while back which were quite successful, using standard 3d but with a single camera which changed its fixed position depending on the characters location. It worked very well and was fast, just got a bit bored with this as the work involved in positioning the cameras exactly right was taking a lot of time and the game was not evolving.

so create a single camera
reposition this camera depending on the characters co-ordinates.
simple but tedious.

(tu) sinu(Posted 2004) [#8]
"It worked very well and was fast, just got a bit bored with this as the work involved in positioning the cameras exactly right was taking a lot of time and the game was not evolving. "

you should have created a simple tool to do that :)