Md2 Models or B3D

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Md2 Models or B3D

Matty(Posted 2004) [#1]
I am using Milkshape3d to make models. Having just purchased blitz3d (although being a long time user of Blitzplus and Blitzbasic as well as some other companies 3d game making stuff) I am interested to find out what are the advantages of exporting an animated b3d model over an animated md2 model. I should point out that I am only interested in animating a textured 3d model. More fancy features are not required.

Neochrome(Posted 2004) [#2]
Far starters an animated b3d mesh is a native blitz mesh, and two, in blitz you have to assign the texture to an md2 with b3d you just load it (providing your textures are in the same dir)

Hope i got this right

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#3]
MD2 lacks of several features, eg: cannot be picked with Linepick commands, No access to low level structure stuff like Vertices, Triangles. No bones. Uses more resources.

Pro: you can export fully animated Meshes, the Animation is based on Vertex-Manipulation. This will look like fully weighted Vertices - but they are not since there ain't no bones.

For a plain Animation without Game Functionality MD2 might be better than B3D.

Techlord(Posted 2004) [#4]
I am interested to find out what are the advantages of exporting an animated b3d model over an animated md2 model

Speed and Flexibility. B3D rocks!

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#5]
I still have to say: B3D has no weighted Vertices, this means in Animations based on a skelleton all Vertices are bound to exactly one bone of the skelleton. If the Bone is moved or rotated, the bound Vertives will move together with it 1 to 1, regardless how far they are away from their bone joint. The result of this will look a bit what-you-see(in max)-is-NOT-what-you'll-get. You can ship around this issue with some tricks, for example use 2 or 3 Joints for the knee, instead of only one.

Matty(Posted 2004) [#6]
Thanks,

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#7]
The most important advantages of b3d over md2 have been missed. First off, file size: because md2 stores the positions of every vertex for every frame, whereas b3d only stores the positions of bones, md2 files are generally much larger. Second, accuracy: the md2 file format limits the data accuracy of vertex positions, resulting in noticeable wobbling of md2 models. The animated model looks like jiggling jello. Third, lighting: md2 models are not lit as well as b3d models. It has to do with vertex interpolation between animation frames.