Using japanese/korean text ?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Using japanese/korean text ?

MagicalTux(Posted 2004) [#1]
Did anyone manage to output text in korean/japanese/chinese (or any multibyte charset) in Blitz3D ?

Is it also possible to get input from the user with such input (allow him to type text with MS IME for example) ? I kinda need both of these functions but I'm not sure it's working in Blitz ..... (maybe with some calls to some DLLs ... ? )

mearrin69(Posted 2004) [#2]
I think you could probably do it with DLLs, at least on the input side - though I'm not familiar with them.

With Japanese and Korean you've got a reasonable alphabet with a few characters thrown in. You might be able to kludge together some workable system using bitmapped fonts.

For Chinese, forget all about that, of course. :)

Hopefully someone else can help you with the DLL approach - as I assume that would be easiest. Hope that helps.
M

MagicalTux(Posted 2004) [#3]
Mmmh..

Japanese people can use 4 alphabets :
- "Romanji" : our standard one
- "Hiragana" : 50 or 60 chars
- "Katakana" : 46 chars
- "Kanji" : alphabet from chinese, contains more than 1000 characters

If we can use windows' system to display such characters, we should theorically be able to display any language :)

darklordz(Posted 2004) [#4]
Using the above info and bitmapped text might work...

MagicalTux(Posted 2004) [#5]
bitmapped text is not the answer to everything.

There must be a way to do that! I will have to support korean as well and I don't know anything about korean.

Also using bitmap font will not solve the problem of the input ...

WolRon(Posted 2004) [#6]
Why not use english? :) It only has 26 letters and seems to be the language of the internet.
In my opinon, anything over 256 characters is a useless language in the computer age.

BTW, how many letters are there in Romanji?

Al Mackey(Posted 2004) [#7]
26. It's when you spell out Japanese phonetically in Roman letters.

Makepool(Posted 2004) [#8]
Just to correct...

It's not called RomaNji, it's Romaji.

also...

hiragana and katakana both have 46 chars though through adding small symbols at the edges there are more. As for Kanji there are 1945 unique symbols for everyday usage though there are a few thousand more and even the 1945 commonly used symbols have multiple combinations to represent every word. Be afraid kids, be very afraid

Why not use english? :)

Because they don't speak it and they ain't gonna change cos you ask them too.

Koreans scrapped the Chinese symbols they inherited from China centuries ago and now have just one single sylabic alphabet, so it shouldn't be too difficult to get to grips with.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2004) [#9]
You'd need an external DLL I think. I tried finding out how you render such text a while back but couldn't find any examples at all out there!

Jim Teeuwen(Posted 2004) [#10]
Blitz has no unicode support so that could all pose a problem. which, for a worldwide available tool like blitz, is a whole pack o nails in its own coffin.

Ive mentioned this a long time ago in the feature request forum, but it hasnt been adressed as far as I know.
In today's age, the world is a very small place, but things like this make it unnecessarally big.

tumi(Posted 2005) [#11]
A new user here.
There is a new article published recently regarding integrating IME with DX9 enbedded component:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/directx9_c/Using_an_Input_Method_Editor_in_a_Game.asp

There is even an example of hooking up this in a textbox and rendering none English characters in DX:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/directx9_c/DXUT_Programming_Guide.asp

(in Tutorials and Sample section: CustomUI sameple, you can find this example if you have the DX9 SDK)

Can Bltiz3D support this? This will make Blitz3D available to rest of the none-English world and most importantly, I can stick with Blitz for years to come :)

tumi(Posted 2005) [#12]
Blitz support? Any taker on this one?
I am not sure if Bltiz can be properly bridged between its runtime and callback from the wrapped DLL, passing back multibyte characters and also dispaly them with a designated language group fonts....