Community project

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Community project

Paul A. B.(Posted 2004) [#1]
a community project of an online web community made by the blitzbasic community inspired by the colledge project for the starchild found. would be a good idea.Please post your thoughts

Steve C ™(Posted 2004) [#2]
my thoughts are : wtf?!
:D

mearrin69(Posted 2004) [#3]
Yep, little unclear on the wording there, Paul. I think I know what the Starchild Foundation is (like Make a Wish I think) so might be worthwhile - if we can just get to the meat of your suggestion. Maybe you can try to reword your request a bit?
M

Techlord(Posted 2004) [#4]
Paul A. B.

I too would like to see a Community MMOP. Perhaps the PLASMA FPS Engine could be used this purpose.

mearrin69,

Space Hulk! I remember that game from the good ole days of 3DO Game Console. In my opinion it could have been the first FPS/RTS. I will be keeping my eye on this one.

GfK(Posted 2004) [#5]
Perhaps the PLASMA FPS Engine could be used this purpose.
Why the hell would a bunch of kids on 'death row' want to play a game where you have to murder people?

You need a genre of game that's going to suit the people who are going to be playing it. An FPS would be totally inappropriate. IMHO.

Techlord(Posted 2004) [#6]
Would you not agree that although the engine is designed for First Person Shooter games, could it not be modified for other purposes? If the game requires Player Control, AI, Network Game Play, etc, why not work with a modular engine already in progress?

Its truly simply a matter of perspective...camera perspective that is.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#7]
fps means fps. it will become too complicated if you want to make an all purpose game engine out of it IMHO. of course, if it's once working, some ppl might mod it however they want.

GfK(Posted 2004) [#8]
Would you not agree that although the engine is designed for First Person Shooter games, could it not be modified for other purposes?
I don't know. Not having seen hide nor hair of it, its impossible for me to speculate on how flexible it is.

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#9]
yeah , if you think baout it, the postion of the camera and the addition of a player arm is all tnat makes a fps different from a 3rd perosn shooter.
you could also switch between the two like you can in ut2003

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#10]
Unfortunately I cannot aree here. If you have an FPS and take away the guns, what's left? A walktrough, and that might be a demo for a Mesh, but it isn't a game.

A non FPS FPP Game needs a game idea. Puzzles, Adventure, Interaction, maybe Communication, some sort of a Game plot. So it's much more work than removing the big guns.

Shambler(Posted 2004) [#11]
An FPS game shares many elements with other games as far as just getting the game up and running, loading levels, saving games,allowing npc characters to navigate the world (pathfinding),picking up objects and storing them in an inventory etc. etc.

Some FPS games in single player mode are not far removed from an adventure game, it would need some work but I don't see that it would be an harder than developing new entity types and bolting them on.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#12]
Nobody said it's impossible, but for project plasma I suggest let us keep it simple until we actually got something working. and this will probably be a simple FPS game, especially when it's gonna support Multiplayer there won't be a lot of lara croft like puzzles.

I mean, I was thinking about this thing a lot, I didn't only write a spontanous comment here, this is a conclusion that evolved after a lot of FPS coding and Multiplayer tests.

Of course, if somebody wants to joint the plasma team to help us in the progress - the only limit is your imagination :)

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#13]
Nevertheless - I think it's a very good idea to produce something good for the starchild foundation.