working with animated, segmented entity

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/working with animated, segmented entity

MadJack(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi all

I want to be able to rotate one child entity within an animated, segmented directx file (imported into B3d)

The file uses segmented parts - so no bones used.

However b3d won't add my specified rotation to the part's pre-canned animation, which is a problem. Has anyone come up with a solution to this - or is the only way to be able to directly affect 'pre-canned' animations, to use boned, skinned meshes?

Hope that's not the case.

MadJack(Posted 2004) [#2]
no, I spoke too soon - I can rotate the part, but the rotational pivot is all wrong.

Sigh.

(tu) sinu(Posted 2004) [#3]
you need to do all rotations after UpdateWorld , the roational pivot maybe wrong cos of the tool used to export. Milkshape for example messes all the axis up.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#4]
you should also use the LOCAL flag with the rotation command (not global). Maybe you need to work with an angle offset at all.

MadJack(Posted 2004) [#5]
ok - this is what I've discovered.

Firstly, I want to be able to directly manipulate joints to allow the arms of an animated figure to pitch up and down while a precanned animation is playing (e.g. walking/running/crouching). So it can crudely aim a gun. I don't like the fact that to do this you have to rotate the bone/joint after updateworld, but that's the way it is at the moment..

I use Lightwave 6.5. (I also have unwrap3d)

I seem unable to sucessfully export single skin boned animations to blitz from LW (I admit I haven't fully tested out Terralink's new deformconvert, but with a few simple animations there were problems. However, I need to learn more, - about weight maps for one).

I can export jointed, multi mesh animations as directx7 files from LW to blitz. However, on rotating a child mesh within an animated entity (within blitz), the rotational pivot is placed at 0,0 for the animated entity. Adjusting individual part's pivot points in LW has no effect.

I also have Truespace6.5.

I cannot get single skin, boned animations from TS sucessfully through to B3d.

I can sucessfully export multi mesh animations using ik bones. Furthermore, I can set axis centres in TS and these are correctly retained in blitz, meaning I can correctly rotate elements.

So, this is the workflow I'm going to go with (at the moment).

I have to say that so far, the working out of a viable animation pathway to get stuff into blitz without having to go through different formats, programmes, making sure animation is correctly transferred (not to mention UV, texturing etc) has been a real pain in the ass, and has taken a lot of time and frustration. There always seems to be a hook.

Having said the above - I'm just off to try importing a LW DX8 file into CharacterFX. I don't like CharacterFX, but if it allows me to get skinned animations into Blitz...

MadJack(Posted 2004) [#6]
..and then I see Characterfx exports DX files, but doesn't import.

carpman(Posted 2004) [#7]
Have you tried Stickmans' DX8 To B3d. It was originally intended for 3DCanvas users. I use it all the time,it converts everything including skinned boned animations. I'm sure I got my copy from the Blitz website,I've had a quick look but can't seem to find it but it's here somewere.
Hope this helps.
>Carpman

bradford6(Posted 2004) [#8]
3ds file format does this well. consider using that.