3dsmax/ blitz units

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/3dsmax/ blitz units

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#1]
Are they the same units, ie If I setup max to use metres , how does that equate to blitz units.
I am planning on using max as a level editor kind of.
ie making a note of postions in max and then typing in the same values in max.

(tu) sinu(Posted 2004) [#2]
1 max metre = 1 blitz metre, but then it comes down to personal choice, 1 max metre could equal 100 blitz metres etc.

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#3]
cool, thanks for that

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#4]
I had problems setting up 3dsMax to use metres. I found that I had to set Max to use "Generic Units" in order to make 1 3dsMax unit = 1 Blitz unit.

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#5]
thats odd. i will have a look in to that tonight,

Pudding(Posted 2004) [#6]
One thing to make sure in Max is that the System Units match the Display Units. If that's the case, the units should translate directly.

BTW Ruz, the next version of B3d Pipeline will have some useful additions for level editing in Max. Specifically support for XRefs is much more robust. You can choose whether to merge XRefs into the scene or save them as references to external b3d files. If you haven't played with XRefs in Max yet, you might want to check them out...

-Pudding

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#7]
One way to check MAX measurements vs. Blitz is to create a cube inside MAX and save that out as .3DS. Then load that in Blitz and create cube using Blitz commands. Then check these visually side by side to check if they are equally sized.

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#8]
No i haven't really used x ref much , supose I should have investigated that by now.
But yup I am looming forward to more B3d pipleine updates, grat tool.
mustang, I tried placing treer in my level in max, then noting the position , then typing this in to my level in blitz. Its odd because the tree was in roughly the same place , but not exact.
I think this something to do with where the level geometry is placed, ie 0,0,0 and my mesh goes below the ground level too.
I will have to nail this down more.