how many Polygon ?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/how many Polygon ?

GC-Martijn(Posted 2004) [#1]
H!,

I'm busy with making a level and now I want to know how many polygons I can use with a pentium 1.5 256 ram and a random good videocard.

how many memory is one polygon or vertex?
and how many memory is a camera?

Please more info.

Thanks
GC-Martijn

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#2]
Hmmm...the way i'd go about it, if use the minimum amount to achieve the best look. Your very unlikely to use 256 Mb of V-Ram as well. I dunno. My game uses 30,000 onscreen polys (which will need to go down a bit i think.

Polygon rate differs tho. It depends on what size textures you are using, if lots of them are onscreen at the one time...etc etc

You should experiment a bit me thinks :)

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#3]
Memory is irrelevant for polygons and cameras. You won't run out of vidram until you're using so many polys that not even a professional videocard would be able to render them.

This must have been said about 1,000,000 times, but once more won't hurt. There is no magic number of polygons. There is no estimate. Your game might crawl with 20,000 polys or fly with 100,000, because polys are often not the most important thing. Surface count is far more important, linepicks, complicated collisions, these things will all make a massive difference.

You're just going to have to make like the rest of us and use what you need, then optimize to make it work on your target machine. Trial and error is the only way.

GC-Martijn(Posted 2004) [#4]
Oke, thanks for the information Sybixsus.