Proxy collision models in levels

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Proxy collision models in levels

Tom(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi,

Having not done any tests yet, has anyone used proxy collision models inside their levels?

Examples: stairs, tables, chairs, doorframes e.t.c, and other detailing in a reasonably sized level, they could all easily have quad-plane or box collision proxys. Would that save BB much time during its collision processing?

Tom

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#2]
Most likely, however, you'd have to define these areas yourself. Blitz collisions are pretty much blazing fast so I don't think you have to worry about it :)

Beaker(Posted 2004) [#3]
It really depends on the detail of the models you are proxifying(!) - but you should win every time with proxy collisions.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#4]
I use invisible collision meshes a lot. For the overall walls and such it doesn't matter but for high(er) pol stuff laying around collision meshes help a lot. Don't just limit yourself to boxes; use low-res versions of models to get collision meshes which are faster to process than the visible model but which are still the same shape.

What I do is include the collision meshes as separate objects with alpha set to 0 in the b3d file when I model the level. Then when I load the level I set a collision mode for the collision objects but not for the rest of the level. If your tools can't do such trickery with b3d files then just save the collision meshes as a separate file from the rest of the level; if you build the collision meshes on top of the visible level and simply export them separately everything should load in the correct place.

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#5]
Yup, what Joe said. I do the exact same thing... my levels are quite complicated and there is no need to check every polygon in there, so proxy models are GOOD. And I can then discard stuff like high ceilings altogether.