Car Collisions?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Car Collisions?

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#1]
This is something that's been bothering me, in a theoretical sort of way really, since I don't plan on making any car games, but it'd probably be useful for other things too.

I've seen a few car games, some of them very nice, but how do you go about doing simple collisions for cars? I mean, spheres are ok for player characters, particularly if you use 2 or 3 of them. But a car is so far from being spherical that I can't imagine how that could work.

But there are no commands for box-to-poly collisions, are there? So how would you go about it?

I'm not talking verlet stuff and advanced physics. Just the basic car flat on the ground, "has it hit the wall?" stuff.

(tu) sinu(Posted 2004) [#2]
how about fill the shape of the car with spheres, well the outline shape of it.

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#3]
Yeah, I wondered if people did that. You could place spheres at "corners" and a few inbetween to ensure nothing angular slides between two spheres. It seems like it might be kinda slow though. I don't know this fora fact, as I've always written my own collisions up until now, but that's not always going to be possible when I get onto more complex collisions.