Torch light

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Torch light

Neochrome(Posted 2004) [#1]
I am really having problems getting a torce or even a Candel FX in my 3D world, the DX light isn't enough. its too, "Vertexy" any one have any ideaS?

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#2]
Is it the light, or the actually flame of the candle?

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#3]
I'd imagine it's the light. There's a method to do this using textures. Halo used it for the Singlarity demo when you fired a gun. You have to figure out which surface normals face the source of the light and texture those polygons appropriately or something like that. I never saw the code.

TroM(Posted 2004) [#4]
maybe a sequence of 2d sprites

Shambler(Posted 2004) [#5]
You could increase the vertex count.

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#6]
well you could have a copuple different lightmaps, each with different positions/colors the light is cast from. then you could either continuealy swap textures or have multiple meshs with the same geometry and hide/unhide them. This is assuming that your candles/orches aren't dynamic. sswifts shadow system?

sswift(Posted 2004) [#7]
With a careful and complex set up, one MIGHT be able to use my shadow system to both have shadows and cast "spotlight" like pools of light.

If you imagine that you first render the level with only lights and shadows and no textures, then in theory you could get something set up where you have 50% grey over most of the scene, but white shadows for spotlights and black shadows for actual shadows. Then you render the scene on top of this with textures and no lighting, using multiply, or preferably, x2 multiply blending. Then you'd have both spotlights and shadows.

Would probably have to have a third layer which is rendered before the shadow stuff though that contains a lightmapped layer.

Actually, in theory you should be able to render the lightmapped layer with the shadows/spotlights at the same time. The shadows would fall on top of the lightmaps and modulate the lighting correctly.

Then you just render the texture layer over that with the multiply or x2 multiply blending

Yeah, that'd probably work. x2 multiply isn't into Blitz yet, but it will be realtively soon I think.

Neochrome(Posted 2004) [#8]
can this be done with a BSP map?