Explosions??

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Explosions??

slenkar(Posted 2004) [#1]
What are the different ways to create an explosion in blitz3D?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#2]
there are several methods, i think the best is a combination of some of them.

Explode Mesh by unwelded Triangles: might be easy, but looks very unrealistic IMHO.

Explode using several expanding Fire Mush spheres with animated textures: looks better, especialy for highly flammable things like fuel drums etc. Shouldb be combined.

Particle explosion with a high number of small sprites

Partivle explosion with a small number of big sprites with big, detailed textures (usually expanding size)

animated Meshes: Meshes are built of solid Fragments and an Animation Sequence will explode them.

Currently I a using a combination of a destructable wall made of animated fragments and a big sprites Particle system. This looks pretty good IMHO. Here you can see this in action, tho it should be watched animated.

It also let me use any number of diffrent textures for diffrent deflagrations. Fire for slow combustion, more flash-like things for detonations.

Adding a bit of smoke after the explosion is also decent nice effect.

WolRon(Posted 2004) [#3]
TNT
gasoline
thermal detonator
propane tank
plastics
TOW2b missile
nitro glycerine
Boeing 747

RayTracer(Posted 2004) [#4]
Best explosions i've seen are in Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield , and those are made with a high number of small sprites combined with debries .A nice thing is that the smoke remains in the air for some time beore it disappears ,very realistic . When simulating a detonation ,too much fire is bad , you need to have a blast ,something violent ,less fire more smoke and debries,adding a shaking effect to the camera is also nice,also make it loud :D

slenkar(Posted 2004) [#5]
THanks for the answers, JFK I found your particle engine in the code archives, is it ok if I use it in a commercial product?

-=Darkheart=-(Posted 2004) [#6]
Unless otherwise specifically stated anything in the Code Archieves is considered public domain, so you can do whatever you like with it. Most stuff in the Code Archieves the all you will be asked is to include a credit somewhere in the game to the naming the author which is just good manners anyway. Most people do this in the Readme file and/or in the Credits section of the game.

Darkheart

slenkar(Posted 2004) [#7]
o.k. good stuff ta,

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#8]
yes, it's ok. good luck with it. Darkheart - it isn't real Public Domain. Let's say it is a gift for all Blitz Users.

slenkar(Posted 2004) [#9]
thanks Ill put your name in the credits etc.