dark md2 models?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/dark md2 models?

vibe37(Posted 2004) [#1]
I'm trying to replace the b3d models in my game by md2 models which works fine apart from the fact that they all appear very dark. They seem to randomly light up sometimes but most times they're just dark. Any ideas how to fix that?

Regards,
Kungfista

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#2]
MD2 is very problematic format - it has wobbling vertices (vertex data inaccuracy) and the lighting is not quite correct, probably more or less looking like yours. Why would you want to replace your .B3D models with .MD2 anyway?

vibe37(Posted 2004) [#3]
Yeah, why anyway? :) I didn't know that MD2 sucks that much - so I'll just stick with b3d. Thx!

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#4]
I love how you "answer" his question by repeating the question. Whatever, sounds like you are going in the right direction now. Oh, another reason MD2 sucks is large file size.

AbbaRue(Posted 2004) [#5]
I didn't know that MD2 models had problems. I was considering using them for my animated characters because they render much faster then 3DS, or X files. I haven't compared B3D yet.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#6]
I don't know which file format renders faster but the difference is miniscule and anyway dependent on the specific model and animation you have going on. Any minor advantage in rendering speed (and like I said, I don't know if there is) is far outweighed by the many downsides of MD2 file format.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#7]
The main reason I don't use it is they don't offer a vertex and triangle access like b3d etc.