Ordering Problem

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Ordering Problem

RayTracer(Posted 2004) [#1]
i seem to have some sort of odering problem ,i have a jet and the bombs are fitted under the wings ,but when the jet is far away ,i can see through the wings and see the bombs ,and the jet model is flickering .Even with W-buffer turned on, at 800 x 600 ,32 bit depth.Did any of you experience this sort of problem?

Neo Genesis10(Posted 2004) [#2]
Are you using EntityOrder? Any model which has this set has its Z buffering disabled. This STILL applies to models with the same EntityOrder set. A bit of a downer which has caused me to rethink my ordering on Omega Wing... :s

RayTracer(Posted 2004) [#3]
no,i'm not using EntityOrder

*(Posted 2004) [#4]
it depends on the world size (from 0,0,0) thanks to Floyd (I think he was the one who explained it) the zbuffer only has so much precision, in my Star Rogue thing this manifested itself with z-ordering problems. Try changing the camera ranges or world scales.

RayTracer(Posted 2004) [#5]
world scales? ,you mean making the objects smaller?

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#6]
Not really. Making objects less far apart, or reducing the camera range (i think ) should do it. If you make everything smaller, your gonna need to scale down there movements too, so instead of moving something 1 unit, you'd move it 0.1 units. So scaling everything down doesn't really solve anything i'm afraid :)

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#7]
http://www.blitzbasic.com/b3ddocs/command.php?name=CameraRange&ref=3d_cat

Try to keep the "far" value as small as possible (try reducing it until your models are clipped from the view), and "near" value as big as possible, meaning values greater than 1 if it does not clip your stuff off. Experiment.

CameraRange is "exponential" meaning that it has more near precision than far - so if your far value is much greater than your most far away model, you're wasting precision there, and it shows as flickering.

AbbaRue(Posted 2004) [#8]
Different entities can have different auto fade values.
Set the bombs at a lower auto fade value then the plane.
Then the bombs won't be visible.
Just a thought.

RetroBooster(Posted 2004) [#9]
Just an easy example, say your CameraRange is now 0.1,1000 then try to change it to 1,1000 and your Z-Buffer accuracy will increase tenfold. It helps to carefully pick the scale of everything else in your world to fit within an acurate CameraRange, good luck!

RayTracer(Posted 2004) [#10]
Thanks guys , seems like scaling the world down does help