Some Questions

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Some Questions

JBR(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hello, I,ve been using BB+ for a while and now want to get into 3D. Before I part with my cash I'd like to know what BB3D can do.

I know it can do texture mapped games like Quake. (FPS)

As a first I'd like to try to do an enhanced version of Zarch (Virus) - a polygon landscape with little ships flying around.

I believe it should be quite 'easy'.
Has anyone got any advice or know where I should look for someone just starting 3D using BB3D?

Thanks
Marg

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#2]
Do some basic stuff first, such as moving the camera around with the arrow keys and turning the camera, just to get used to the simple, core commands. Maybe, display a sphere and scale it with the arrow keys. Sorta work your way up. :)

I though the tutorials are pretty good that comes with it too. Best bit about blitz3d, is it lets you work on the mechanics of the games, and not spend tons of time worring about how to get stuff to appear on the screen.

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#3]
Also, i think the biggest problem run into when using 3d, is the media: The models,textures and sound etc.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2004) [#4]
Yeah I agree the packaged tutorials are a good place to start. Don't worry Marg- I honestly believe that basic 3D is easier than getting a decent 2D game going with blitz. As for Zarch- someone has already had a crack at it with B+ and userlibs. Search for GLZarch.

Stevie G(Posted 2004) [#5]
I put a blitz3d version of a zarch landscape in the code archives too if you want to take a butchers. I suppose if your going for an enhanced version then you'll probably take a different approach.

I've been coding a remake for a month or so now and it's not been too difficult. Would be happy to zip up a demo if I had someone who could host it?

JBR(Posted 2004) [#6]
Thanks peeps,

Stevie G : Have got your zarch landscape from archives and will have a look later.

If you email me your latest version, I'll put it on my freeserve site.

Thanks again
Marg

JBR(Posted 2004) [#7]
Sorry, forgot my email address

jimbrobb@...

Marg