Cel rendering

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Cel rendering

aCiD2(Posted 2003) [#1]
hey, if anybody has some spare time, could someone give me some pointers on making cell rendering in blitz? some example code, some websites that may help, or jsut some tips.

i was told to use a 1d texture map with flag 64 (spherical) to make a fake cell rendering effect, but its hardly noticeable, any advice on this technique? any help appreciated.

aCiD2

(tu) sinu(Posted 2003) [#2]
sswift released his cel shading system which is very good, cant find it now though, maybe he'll post in here with a link.

aCiD2(Posted 2003) [#3]
you mean the black outlining because i have that :P?

(tu) sinu(Posted 2003) [#4]
the one with the dragons and correct 1d texture mapping.

aCiD2(Posted 2003) [#5]
do you have it? could you email me it? (ollo2k@...) if not, pllleasseee try and dig up the link ;)

aCiD2

(tu) sinu(Posted 2003) [#6]
i'll see if i can find it, i know i have it somewhere.

aCiD2(Posted 2003) [#7]
great!!! boy o boy, youve made me happy :P even if you dotn find it i know it exists somewhere (*raises eyebrow*)

sswift(Posted 2003) [#8]
That thread would be here.

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=22183

But the link no longer works. Aww...

aCiD2(Posted 2003) [#9]
incredible! great job :) shame about the black lines that not everyone will like em (i do!)

sswift(Posted 2003) [#10]
Shame about black lines? Huh? I don't see anyone complaining about the outlines. :-)

Btw, you did hit the number keys right? 1-8 change the colors and A and Z zoom in and out. Arrows rotate.

aCiD2(Posted 2003) [#11]
im not talking about the black outlines, i get strange black lines on the inside, ill get a screenshot up... hang on. the lines are off putting slightly the are diagonal and jsut kra-zee :P

aCiD2

aCiD2(Posted 2003) [#12]
http://www.polartrix.net/oddss.htm

sswift(Posted 2003) [#13]
Something weird is going on with your card. Update your drivers.

The mesh is copied, inverted, and then expanded. It looks like it is not being inverted OR expanded there. So that's a bug.

The only other possiblity would be a zbuffer issue. You can try running in 32 bit color mode if possible, but it doesn't look to me like what you would get if there were a zbuffer issue.

aCiD2(Posted 2003) [#14]
ok, my old card then np :P can you screen shout ur results?

Jeroen(Posted 2003) [#15]
Sswift, my compliments. I really like that demo.

sswift(Posted 2003) [#16]

IPete2(Posted 2003) [#17]
SSwift,

That is a really great demo! I would love to try something in that style...hmm.

IPete2.

darklordz(Posted 2003) [#18]
sswift, is your system for sale or can we use it freely?

Rob(Posted 2003) [#19]
Acid,

it looks as though the outline is

a) not being scaled
b) not being flipped

sswift(Posted 2003) [#20]
dark:
it is free

What may be going on here is Mark may be using the card to recalculate the normals and the card may be recalculating them wrong, setting them all to NAN or 0. If that were to occur it would keep the scaling from occuring.

But then there's the issue of the mesh not being inverted. Probably another problem with the card.

I would really think that Mark calculates the normals manually though. But that cannot explain this issue. As you can see from the code there shouldn't be any problem with what I wrote.

Acid:
Have you tried compiling the example yourelf? Do you have the latest version of DX installed? You shouldn't need to have higher than 6 or 7 I think, but it doesn't hurt.

sswift(Posted 2003) [#21]
Oh and Acid, you shoudl be able to get it to work with a radeon or geforce or voodoo. Though the voodoo will have problems with the wings because the membrane isn't thick enough to avoid zbuffer issues with a 16 bit zbuffer, and I didn't set the camera range very carefully.

aCiD2(Posted 2003) [#22]
this card is older than all of them. it doesnt matter, getting new comp soon and i will have a good card, out of all the people i know only i have such a old comp :) ill jsut up the specs, thanks for the feed back anyway

darklordz(Posted 2003) [#23]
Hey sswift got any more cool free libs... (particle sys *hint)

sswift(Posted 2003) [#24]
Yes. Anibrush (animates brushes) and Flux (animates entity positon orientation and scale). But you have to email me to get those.

aCiD2(Posted 2003) [#25]
darklordz: why dont you jsut get one from blitzcoder? go to showcase -> userlibs -> get eps, very nice :)

darklordz(Posted 2003) [#26]
@aCiD2 > I usualy write my own stuff. Im currently in th emiddle of writing a milti surface particle system. But it's a bit complex i just need to see how others did theirs.

aCiD2(Posted 2003) [#27]
ah, i see :) wel, you gotta send me a demo of that when your done! and what is "multi surface" particle emision?