Retro's feature request post

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Retro's feature request post

RetroBooster(Posted 2003) [#1]
As you all know I'm a rather quiet chap around the forums usualy, but since I've recently been working on a large scale 3d engine based on blitz together with another coder. I've ran into some minor things that could realy add some miraculous user friendlyness in the creation of blitz based engines. I'm sure there might be more such things along the path of development and I'll try and bring them to the community and marks attention as they do. 2 points I'm currently bothered with are as follows, I assume atleast the first one would be realy easy to implement and would open up some briliant possiblities.

1. The ability to overwite a blitz function and somehow still call the original.
This is mayor and would allow for top grade built in error checking and creating special entities of your own that could be used with blitz native functions as if they where normal and much much more ofcourse :P...

example:
Function LoadMesh(mesh$,parent)
 entity = BlitzLoadMesh(mesh,parent)
 if entity = 0
  ;Write debug info to your own console
  Console_Error("Couldn't load " + mesh)
  ;Load error placeholder
  entity = BlitzLoadMesh(ERROR_PLACEHOLDER,parent)
 endif
 return entity
end function

Function MoveEntity(entity,x#,y#,z#)
 entityType = getTypeFlag(entityname(entity))
 if entityType > X (ammount of blitz native types)
  MoveCustomEntity(entity,entityType,x#,y#,z#)
 else
  BlitzMoveEntity(entity,x#,y#,z#)
 endif
end function

2. More movable collision sources 2 in particular cubes and cylinders, if we had those we could do 90 percent of the verlet physics effects using blitz collisions on the moving object.

3. Also putting something faster then a string into an object using entityname, would be realy nice... like a int field where you can store a type, that'd save some time in highly interactive games...

I hope you like these suggestions and I hope mark finds the time and possibility to make them happen, it'd realy make my day, so to speak.

Regards,
Loren Roosendaal aka. Retro

koekjesbaby(Posted 2003) [#2]
for point 3 check this: http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=28764

RetroBooster(Posted 2003) [#3]
Right I've been following that, looks like a decent fix for point 3. :)