Long, winding cylinder

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Long, winding cylinder

Tracer(Posted 2003) [#1]
Anybody who has ever played Asheron's Call 2, knows of their loader, which is basically a camera going through a winding, unlimited length tunnel (cylinder)..

I am wanting to do something similar, but creating meshes on the fly isn't one of the things i am very good at :)

Any pointers would be appreciated :)

Tracer

poopla(Posted 2003) [#2]
Depending on the effect you want, I did something similar by placing a camera inside a mesh and moving it's texture. Done well it creates a seriously trippy effect.

Tracer(Posted 2003) [#3]
I need curves tho :)

I am doing what you say actually, but i want it a little bit more "moving" than just a texture that scrolls (or in my case, three cylinders with two moving textures each). So, if it could curve around a little, that'd probably look nice as well.

Tracer

poopla(Posted 2003) [#4]
Well, make a cornicopia mesh, and place the camera facing the small end, then turn the mesh on it's Z axis while movin' the texture.

ChrML(Posted 2003) [#5]
If you make a mesh in your modeller, with some curves and stuff, and then place your camera in your game in the end, facing forward into the tunnel. Then you can rotate it using blitz commands, while moving the texture towards you. That would make a really awesome effect, and it would definitly look like you're flying into an endless pipe.

Al Mackey(Posted 2003) [#6]
The Asheron's Call 1 load screen was just the camera going in circles in the inside of a toroid.. they just made the camera rotate around back and forth randomly on its Roll axis to make it look like you were in a twisting pipe. I have two roommates who played the game obsessively for years, and it took me months before I realized that the tunnel wasn't actually twisting at all.

sswift(Posted 2003) [#7]
That's pretty clever.

Al Mackey(Posted 2003) [#8]
The twisty tunnel thing was someting I always wanted to do, so I went ahead and did it. Don't watch for too long or it will make you motion-sick.

tunnel.zip (EXE included)

Tracer(Posted 2003) [#9]
Nice! yep, that's what i meant :) now to learn from it.. thanks man!

Tracer