Specify texture path?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Specify texture path?

vibe37(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hi!

Is it possible to specify a path for the texture files for a (maplet-made) .b3d map? At the moment, all my textures are in the root directory of my game which is kinda chaotic. I would like to put them in a folder named "tex" or something - any ideas?

Regards,
Kungfista

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#2]
usually the textures are in the same folder like the meshes which are using them. Especially when they should automaticly load their textures when you use the LoadMesh() Command. At least they have to be stored in the same Path-Relation, so when you have saved the Mesh in a modeling Application using a Texture Path like tex\floor.bmp then you should keep this path. However, it is a common standard to store the Meshes in the same folder like the textures, using only msdos-compatible filenames for the textures (8.3 Chars, no Spaces etc.). If meshes and texes are in the same folder, blitz don't cares where they are.

I usually store all stuff in topic-related folders, such as "guns", "chars", "building", "interior", "sounds" or "item"...

vibe37(Posted 2003) [#3]
Thanks man, so I'll just keep all the mesh related stuff inside the same folder. Btw, I just finished my very first project. If you like, have a look at:

http://www.blitzcoder.com/cgi-bin/showcase/showcase_showentry.pl?id=kungfista12242003214114&comments=no

Kungfista

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#4]
looks pretty good for a first project!

vibe37(Posted 2003) [#5]
thx ^_^
I REALLY want to code a first person shooter but I think I'm too unexperienced yet. That's why I'll make another Clone to get some practice, perhaps Pacman or Space Invaders.

PowerPC603(Posted 2003) [#6]
So if you created a .b3d object and save it with full path info for the textures, i.e. "C:\MyGame\Models\Model01.b3d" and all required textures are also in this directory, Blitz3D will load the textures, even if you move the model and all textures to another directory?

Because I heard that GILE[s] stores the full path info for texs into the b3d file.

If I would sell my game, and the buyer installs it's game onto his D-drive, Blitz3D will still load the textures correctly, even if the texture info in the b3d file says:
"C:\MyGame\Models\Tex01.bmp"?

Akat(Posted 2003) [#7]
if u r using B3D pipeline, just thick the relative path when u export it into B3D file

PowerPC603(Posted 2003) [#8]
if u r using B3D pipeline, just thick the relative path when u export it into B3D file

I know, but I create my models and levels in Max, export them to B3D, using Pudding's pipeline and then import them in GILE[s] for lightmapping.