Enlightec Ltd. is looking for coders and artists...

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Enlightec Ltd. is looking for coders and artists...

Svenz(Posted 2003) [#1]
Enlightec Ltd. is looking for programmers to create a 3D engine similar to Dungeon Siege: Legends of Aranna. (You may download the Dungeon Siege demo online at http://download.com.com/3000-7537-10248376.html?tag=lst-0-2 ) This code will include camera movement, player mouse-click movement, path-finding (to navigate around objects), and functions to load terrain into a single mesh and create shadows where possible (for maximum speed), also anything extra that will fit the expenses of Enlightec Ltd.
3D Modelers are needed to model characters, buildings, weapons and terrains from 2D scanned (Photoshop Edited) art.

The coders and modelers will be paid either on a per code basis or will recieve a legal document including them in a percentage of pay when the Enlightec Ltd's game will hit the market. Depending on the amount of work they have completed they will have their name displayed in the credits.

The game will be an Action RPG with a view similiar to Dungeon Siege: Legends of Aranna, but with a cyberpunk storyline.

In the past Enlightec Ltd. has been a computer consultant company (tech support, custom computers, repair, etc.) We want to move on; this will be our first software development project. You will be able to see some of the artwork and basic ideas soon enough; the website will be online soon, we are revamping it to fit our new specialty.

Please email your URLs of work you have completed to apply@...

Thank You; Sincerely,
Andrew Stillwell
President
Enlightec Ltd.

GfK(Posted 2003) [#2]
I think more people would be interested if you could guarantee a specific amount of pay for the job, instead of saying "you might get this, OR you might get that". Because based on what you wrote above, you ommitted to say "you might get nothing"!

Are you a legitimate company? Or just a bloke with a domain name, like 99% of everybody else here? What 'percentage of pay' are you offering? Who are you going to approach with the finished game? Or are you going to sell it as shareware? If you're self-publishing do you have the finances to actually do it? How do you plan to get your game into shops? Have you done a realistic business plan?

Don't mean to sound negative - would just like more clarity, is all. You haven't even said which country you're in!

eBusiness(Posted 2003) [#3]
Hmmm, have you ever done anything that looked like a game before? I have, but yet I wouln't dare starting such a project. And by the way, when you say "we", who do you refer to, and what qualifications does these people have?

Rob Farley(Posted 2003) [#4]
The problem with many of these posts is usually it's a 14 year old boy pretending to have a business so no-one takes these seriously. Usually you find in the signiture you get CEO or President or something equally grand of xxx company, when infact the only people in the 'company' are him and his best mate Mike.

Of course I'm not suggesting this in this particular case, but 9/10 time this is the case.

You'll usually get a better response if you actually have some work to back up what you want to do, be it a basic engine, previous work or something similar.

sswift(Posted 2003) [#5]
Well enlightec.com is hosted on fatcow.com. It is registered to him, and he lives in Alton, Illinois, in the USA. He registered the domain through yahoo.com.

I could give you his street address and phone number too, but I won't. :-)

His email address is hosted on "stillwell" which is an email service.

The fact that he has a domain registered in his name probably means he's not a 14 year old, since you usually need a credit card to do that, and money. :-)

Odds On(Posted 2003) [#6]
sswift, Stillwell is his last name... how handy is that, hehe

sswift(Posted 2003) [#7]
Well it's not surprising:

"www.stillwell.com is a "Shared" domain. Netidentity owns over 15,000 popular surname-based domain names and allows anyone to use them for email and website addresses."

That's from the page that comes up when you type in stillwell.com into your browser.

So it's really "netidentity" email service. I just got confused because it knew which domain I had come from and put that in big words on the front page.

eBusiness(Posted 2003) [#8]
Hmmm... Stillwell, as in: "Are you still well?"

Odds On(Posted 2003) [#9]
Let's not keep this off topic, it does look like a legitimate offer, and a good opportunity for the right person.

ozak(Posted 2005) [#10]
Hehe. Looks like some kinda campus website :)
(http://www.enlightec.com/)

But yeah. A lot of people post stuff like this, and most of them have no idea how hard it is to actually make a game. And why would we produce a demo and send it to them without compensation?

And if it's their first game, they might want to aim a bit lower than cloning Dungeon Siege :)

Stuart Morgan(Posted 2005) [#11]
You obviously have an idea of what you want the game to be, but do you have a game development project plan, after all if you fail to plan, you plan to fail.

Enlightec Ltd. is looking for programmers to create a 3D engine similar to Dungeon Siege: Legends of Aranna.

I feel it would be more successful if the management asks staff to come up with the game idea as the development team wouldn't want to make a game they dont like.

this will be our first software development project.

If thats the case get the team together and create a smaller project first (something simple) and if thats successsful then move on to more ambitious projects. Dont jump in the deep end with no experience! :-)

I also agree with what Gfk said, need more info/background.

Mustang(Posted 2005) [#12]
Well... sorry to say but your website ( http://www.enlightec.com/ ) is far from convincing looking, for a corporate site.

Also "coming soon" (always a bad idea in the first place) links to a bare directory listing of your website. Not good -> here's for example your usage statistics for "campus.enlightec.com":

http://campus.enlightec.com/webalizer/usage_200506.html

tonyg(Posted 2005) [#13]
Gentlemen, you failed to notice this was posted Dec 2003. It's very possible Enlightec now has a hit Dungeon Siege clone on their hands or the project failed and/or it was another 14 year old President and his mate Mike.

Stuart Morgan(Posted 2005) [#14]
Gentlemen, you failed to notice this was posted Dec 2003

Haha I never look at the posted dates, If its at the top of the forum list I assume its new! (Who dug it up...blame ozak!) :-P

If its been so long and their website has still not been updated then that says something!

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#15]
Return 'o' 2003! !!!!!

GfK(Posted 2005) [#16]
Since this thread is two years old, and "Enlightec Ltd" has only managed one post in all that time, I'd hazard a guess that all is not well. Perhaps mummy has confiscated his t'internet and sent him to bed without supper.

I never did get answers to any of my questions. Which is unsurprising.

:/

Oddball(Posted 2005) [#17]
Someone should sticky this thread as a warning to all those wouldbe Doom 3 makers to start small and work their way up. Bet you could find 20 more threads just like this and nearly as old that never turned into anything either.

Mustang(Posted 2005) [#18]
2003? Duh...

maximo(Posted 2005) [#19]
LOL mustang got all worked up and started giving some advices only to discover it's 2 years too late lol :D

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2005) [#20]
Don't you just love the Yanks, always going round calling themselves President or Chief blah-blah Officer. God dang.

ozak(Posted 2005) [#21]
Oh yeah. I never look at the dates anyhow. Now, what year was I in? ;)