DX lights don't calculate light intensity by normals, do they?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/DX lights don't calculate light intensity by normals, do they?

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#1]
I just noticed that a face on a spinning cube will either be fully lit or unlit, but there is no falloff as the face approaches parallel with the light position. Run this Blitz3D code and then look at this OpenGL demo:
http://www.leadwerks.com/demo.zip

The OpenGL demo uses coded vertex lights, not GL lights. I don't know if GL lights behave like DX lights or not.

Graphics3D 800,600,32,2
SetBuffer BackBuffer()

l=CreateLight(2)

PositionEntity l,100,0,0

cam=CreateCamera()
MoveEntity cam,0,0,-20

world=CreatePivot()

Dim box(200)

For n=0 To 100
	box(n)=CreateCube(world)
	MoveEntity box(n),Rnd(-10,10),Rnd(-10,10),Rnd(-10,10)
	ScaleMesh box(n),.5,.5,.5
	Next

While Not KeyHit(1)
	TurnEntity world,0,1,0
	RenderWorld
	Text 0,0,FPS()
	Flip
	Wend
End

Global fpstime
Global lastupdate
Global oldfps

Function FPS()
oldtime=fpstime
fpstime=MilliSecs()
elapsed=fpstime-oldtime
If Not elapsed elapsed=1
time=Int(MilliSecs()/1000)
If time>lastupdate
	lastupdate=time
	oldfps=1000/elapsed
	EndIf
Return oldfps	
End Function

Tracer(Posted 2003) [#2]
Halo, after your CreateCube(), put an "UpdateNormals" .. then it will do the normal shading (if that is what it is..) instead of the face lighting.

Tracer

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#3]
Blitz's UpdateNormals() command averages the normals of the vertices out, and because the normals are pointed different directions, the faces will get some blending across them. But you'll notice that the vertex lighting still pops in and out. Any vertex is either 100% lit, or 100% unlit. Add an AmbientLight 0,0,0 call to see this better. If you then run the OpenGL example, you'll see that the vertices smoothly illuminate as they turn to face the light source.

I always thought Blitz lights looked liked they "popped" in and out. I wonder if that's DX or Blitz, and if OpenGL lights do the same thing.

I uploaded 2 exe's:
http://www.leadwerks.com/compare.zip

Tracer(Posted 2003) [#4]
most likely Blitz, i've not seen my codings in DX9 or OpenGL do this yet .. but then, it may be DX7 and it's fixed in DX9 :)

You can also use entityfx to select the use of the entity's vertex colors, but that's not what you're looking for i think. But you never know.. :)

Tracer

poopla(Posted 2003) [#5]
I've had it do the same. Blitz's lighting is a bit whacky.

Zmatrix(Posted 2003) [#6]
changing the light to directional seemed to make it a bit smoother after updateing normals,
or when i loaded a cube from a modeler with a smooth group of 90.
Thats kinda strange, its seems like a directional light should "pop in " more than a point light.

Graphics3D 800,600,32,1
SetBuffer BackBuffer()

cube=CreateCube()
UpdateNormals cube
AmbientLight 0,0,0
light=CreateLight(1)
PositionEntity light,30,0,-30
camera=CreateCamera()
PositionEntity camera,0,0,-3

While Not KeyHit(1)
TurnEntity cube,.5,.5,1.1
UpdateWorld
RenderWorld
Flip
Wend
End

Zmatrix

sswift(Posted 2003) [#7]
The lights work just fine. Halo just doesn't know how to use them.

Adding this command will fix things:
LightRange L, 100

The reason the light seems to change instantly, is because the default light radius is 1000, and this means that the light brightens up everything within that radius 100% or more. The falloff is OUTSIDE that range.

Being that it brightens everything 100% or more, the angle of the surface to the light ends up having little effect. There is a change in brightness but it's very breif. 10% of 10,000 is still 1000 after all. So with the ligth that bright and that close with that kind of range, only the polygons which are most angled away from the light will fall into the 0..255 range. So they appear to flash on instantly. If you rotated the cubes MUCH slower then you might be able to see a gradual change then.

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#8]
That looks a lot better.

Mustang(Posted 2003) [#9]
Live and learn... live and learn... [gently nodding]

sswift(Posted 2003) [#10]
A nice side effect of this is that you can make lighting that kinda looks like cel shading where the change in brightness is swift.

Rob(Posted 2003) [#11]
Yeah lightrange always worked for me :)