centre handle on hierarchy entity

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/centre handle on hierarchy entity

Rad Gravity(Posted 2003) [#1]
I have a hierarchical entity created in 3ds max and exported in .b3d format as an animation.
The trouble is the handle is at an obscure source-point of the entity which doesn't seem to correspond to anything tangible. All the centre entity code in other forums won't work because the entities are children etc.
I just can't figure out how to move the handle to the appropriate point of the entity.

Help!

gpete(Posted 2003) [#2]
Rad, this comment may not be useful (or maybe way too obvious!). I had some trouble with b3d files from Quill3D, (a great,low cost program by Birdie). The thing is Quill3D sets the handle point on objects on the center crosshair while you are designing it, and saves it there. To change the center handle- move the object in the design program, and then save and export it to b3d format. Does this work in 3ds Max? I don't know.....try it for yourself.
gpete

Rad Gravity(Posted 2003) [#3]
No dude, I wish it were that simple. In a hierarchy, all the objects are assigned to a parent-child relationship so that complex animation can be achieved without resorting to inverse kinematics. When a model is created this way, each object has it's own pivot and is treated as a separate entity. There is no 'one' pivot to adjust.
Thanks anyway.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#4]
in the animation there is a top-entity which is a Pivot. its next child is the top Mesh, usually the torso or something. it should work if you adjust this meshes logical center using

fitmesh torso -meshwidth(torso)/2,-meshheight(torso)/2,-meshdepth(torso)/2,meshwidth(torso),meshheight(torso),meshdepth(torso)

well, that's my untested theory