Beginning 3D Tutorials

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Beginning 3D Tutorials

cbmeeks(Posted 2003) [#1]
In my spare time (about 16 microseconds a year), I want to play with a 3D game. I would like to make something along the lines of Quake...maybe a little more advanced. I assume B3D can handle this? :-D

My problem is that I am 3D clueless.

Here are my questions:

1) Any good tutorials?

2) What programs should I use? (free ones preferably)

3) Has anyone done a full game that is as good as Quake?

Thanks!

cb

poopla(Posted 2003) [#2]
All I can say is start using 3d in simple ways. Moving objects around, controlling a cube, etc etc. Crawl before ya walk. As for as tutorials there are... some about. Also the archives are a great resource.

As for question 3 it all comes down to oppinion. I see projects being developed atm that look much better then quake, and probably play just as well.

Radius65(Posted 2003) [#3]
Re question 1:
You might want to take a look at my 3d tutorials in the tutorials section. I would be interested in your opinion
Radius65

Rob(Posted 2003) [#4]
A few tips:

Code archives has 3D Quake (FPS) style camera controls to ease you into it.

You can use ID Quake3 tools and BSP to create your maps - this can suffice well if you are not planning to make a commercial game, and have no current tools for levels.

If you use a modelling package, consider giles for lightmapping. Non-essential for learning, but nice for looks! Maplet may also suffice.

Now the most important thing in a Quake style game is actually the movement and the collisions.

The movement is the easy part - you can find it in code archives. The only problem with collisions is stairs. Here, you have two choices. 1) you use custom collision to move the player higher (search for stair collision on these forums) or, you use an invisible ramp and cheat!

For now, I suggest you use ramps and upgrade to stairs :)

Good luck!